Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel like he is insincere and wishes to replace me if he could I feel that he feels sick at the sight of me.He is cold and doesn't really care and he would treat me differently if we shared blood.I thinks he thinks low of me and doesn't care how i do in life just hopes everything will be ok and I could get out of his sight as quickly as possible.

What makes me think is that he is not really affectionate or complimentary.I wish he could be honest and tell me the truth I feel like he doesn't care so let's stop pretending that we are a family and he should be perhaps called by his first name instead because it means nothing to him.I don't know if i am expecting too much I grew up in a single parent household my dead was never around.Any advice I just find the coldness unbearable.

(Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I feel like he is insincere and wishes to replace me if he could I feel that he feels sick at the sight of me.He is cold and doesn't really care and he would treat me differently if we shared blood.I thinks he thinks low of me and doesn't care how i do in life just hopes everything will be ok and I could get out of his sight as quickly as possible.

What makes me think is that he is not really affectionate or complimentary.I wish he could be honest and tell me the truth I feel like he doesn't care so let's stop pretending that we are a family and he should be perhaps called by his first name instead because it means nothing to him.I don't know if i am expecting too much I grew up in a single parent household my dead was never around.Any advice I just find the coldness unbearable.

I think you should print this out in the library to get a photocopy and show him this, tell him to read it and any replies you get because this is important to let him know how you feel. Maybe he thinks you dont like him either so thats why hes cold. Once you both tell each other why your so distant maybe you could both improve the relationship and try to do things together that you both like. Maybe watching films together, cinema, ordering take aways, going fishing, fun fairs with all the family. Ask him questions about what he was like at your age or as a teenager or in his 20's as i dont know your age. He might have some funny, interesting stories that you can bond over. If you do nothing it will be a horrible atmosphere to live in forever. If he tries to make you feel guilty about asking people for advice on the internet by saying why didnt you come to him about it first just let him read the replies you receive as you needed other peoples advice and it was hard to explain how you feel to him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think you should print this out in the library to get a photocopy and show him this, tell him to read it and any replies you get because this is important to let him know how you feel. Maybe he thinks you dont like him either so thats why hes cold. Once you both tell each other why your so distant maybe you could both improve the relationship and try to do things together that you both like. Maybe watching films together, cinema, ordering take aways, going fishing, fun fairs with all the family. Ask him questions about what he was like at your age or as a teenager or in his 20's as i dont know your age. He might have some funny, interesting stories that you can bond over. If you do nothing it will be a horrible atmosphere to live in forever. If he tries to make you feel guilty about asking people for advice on the internet by saying why didnt you come to him about it first just let him read the replies you receive as you needed other peoples advice and it was hard to explain how you feel to him
    I wrote this reply but didnt realise id ticked the anonymous box by accident as i didnt want it to be anoymous
    So im just clearing that up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judge Judy)
    I wrote this reply but didnt realise id ticked the anonymous box by accident as i didnt want it to be anoymous
    So im just clearing that up
    Thank you for replying.I don't understand him sometimes he hugs me seems warm but I doubt it I feel like I mean nothing to him and it is not true love/affection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Thank you for replying.I don't understand him sometimes he hugs me seems warm but I doubt it I feel like I mean nothing to him and it is not true love/affection.

Some parents are not very good at expressing their feelings or some are not very good parents at all because they were treated badly so maybe you should just try to take that into consideration. I think its nice that he hugs you but some parents may have mood swings where one day their nice then the next day they are cold and horrible. My mum has never hugged me or told me that she loves me but i dont care and i never needed it anyway and i never resented her. I know she does care about me. She had a horrible childhood where her mother died when she was 11 then she was sent to live with her auntie who was extremely violent and would beat her up most days or every day and my mum said she used to beat her like a man.
    She doesnt talk much about it but its understandable that she doesnt show affection because of how she was treated. She got married at 19 to my dad who was violent towards her too so im glad they split up when i was 5 years old

But i still think you should have that chat with your step dad just to see what he says. Maybe you should make tbe first move by asking him to take you to the cinema or whatever else you like doing so you can do fun things together.

When ever theres a fun fair normally around bank holidays ask him to take you there or with the whole family or every December there is Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. It doesnt matter what age you are fun fairs are a great way for families or just friends to bond. I love winter wonderland as its different from other fun fairs. I went for the first time in 2014 but couldnt afford to go last year because i had too many bills to pay but i hope to go again this year and every year. They have a band playing on stage where the outdoor fire place is which all the family can enjoy as well as evrything else

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.