Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to do some reading over summer to improve my personal statement and I was just looking for some author or title recommendations please?
    I'm going to be doing French and German at uni
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    For french reading I'd recommend Guillaume Musso and Marc Levy, because they use a "normal language", not so difficult to understand if you never read french before, I think.
    If you're used to reading french, I'd recommend some classics :

- Victor Hugo (Les châtiments, Le dernier jour d'un condamné, L'homme qui rit)
    - Emile Zola (La débâcle, Germinal, Au bonheur des dames)
    - Jules Verne (Vingt mille lieues sous les mers, Le tour du monde en 80 jours)
    - Stendhal (Le rouge et le noir)
    - Albert Camus ( L'étranger, Le mythe de Sisyphe)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marie-Antoinette)
    For french reading I'd recommend Guillaume Musso and Marc Levy, because they use a "normal language", not so difficult to understand if you never read french before, I think.

Thank you very much! I'll definitely be reading some of those over summer

ReputationRep:
    Franz Kafka? I think he wrote in German.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody_Pigeon)
    Franz Kafka? I think he wrote in German.
    Yes yes, I've just looked him up and he does, thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    the diving bell and the butterfly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepearl7)
    the diving bell and the butterfly
    The synopsis looks very interesting, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marie-Antoinette)

T'as lu Un Sac de Billes ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pablo Picasso)
    T'as lu Un Sac de Billes ?
    Non :/

ReputationRep:
    If you have any interest in philosophy, then original works of Nietzsche, Kant, Wittgenstein, Heidegger and Schopenhauer might interest you.

Otherwise, since you have an avatar of Marx, you could read the communist manifesto usw. in German?
    --
    I'm only recommending based upon interest, as you can tell those books are probably going to be hard to read.

Sorry I couldn't really help a lot x[

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    If you have any interest in philosophy, then original works of Nietzsche, Kant, Wittgenstein, Heidegger and Schopenhauer might interest you.

Otherwise, since you have an avatar of Marx, you could read the communist manifesto usw. in German?
    --
    I'm only recommending based upon interest, as you can tell those books are probably going to be hard to read.

Sorry I couldn't really help a lot x[
    Yes philosophy definitely interests me, thank you for your help!
    Hahaha lmao I'll definitely give The Communist Manifesto a go!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.