The Student Room Group

Withdrawing from Firm

Basically...

I was away for 6 months, despite me asking, my Mum didn't open my post and I was going on what came up on UCAS.

Now, I was offered a different course to what i had applied for at Oxford Brookes, which is the best place for the course I want to do. Instead of the degree, they offered me the foundation, adding a year on to what I wanted to do.

I went on and thought I'd been rejected (whilst I was still away) as the offered changed to rejected (as I hadn't replied, as I didn't know about the other option). Thought that was that.

Came home, found the letter, thought I'd already been rejected, so went on and took up my offer at UWE.

Now, turns out, UWE won't take me on the course and I need to do a foundation year there too. Out of the two, I'd MUCH rather do it at Brookes, however I have now got myself into a big mess, as I don't think I can swap courses and universities now I've firmed, can I?

The offer I currently have is still Conditional. I would like, in a perfect world, to change university so I have an unconditional from Oxford Brookes. Obviously I won't know if this'll be possible until Monday morning, when I have spoken to both Brookes and UCAS.

There's no way I'm going to be able to swap is there? :frown:
I really dont understand :s-smilie:
But one point is, you wont be able to change a conditional offer to an unconditional firm, especially after you've messed them around.
Reply 2
When did you firm? If you have done it within 14 days you can change but you will have to phone Oxford Brookes to see if they will reconsider you for the foundation year (you could say you didn't reply because you were away for 6 months which may help you!)
Reply 3
Yes, I will be saying that and that it was unclear on track what course I was being rejected for. I'm pretty sure I would get on, I was only 10 points under what they needed for the other course, but it's heavily oversubscribed anyway so wouldn't let me on with the grades I had...

It was much longer than 14 days, more like a month, which is wherein lies the problem. I know it'd be no problem within 14 days, but now it's longer there might be.

Surely UCAS can't dictate my life to me? :s-smilie: I appreciate they have the 14 day rule there so everyone can't change, but maybe if I asked UWE to 'release' me, then asked Brookes if they could email UCAS or something to let me on?

The course I want to do/was offered at Brookes is still on Extra, so hopefully they'd let me on no problems.
Reply 4
Worst comes to worse, you ask to get released and then apply through Extra.
It's sometimes still possible to change your reply after 14 days, it just means that there are no guarantees and that you have to sort it out directly with the unis rather than through UCAS, so ask Oxford Brookes if they'll still take you and then, if so, ask UWE to release you.
Reply 6
Gah, I'm such an idiot, I've cocked it up all so many times. Again...

I don't think being released from UWE and going through Extra would be a problem, as the course is on Extra and I've already had an offer and have way over what they need at Brookes. I didn't know about the 'being released' thing so that's good.

Thanks for clarifying. Will hopefully sort it all out tomorrow :frown:
Reply 7
Yay, i've done it and got my new unconditional.

SO happy! Thanks everyone! Repped you Kirstin and will rep the other two later. So grateful. Am not changing my mind ever again, now. YAY!

Latest

Trending

Trending