Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to Sheffield as my firm choice and they're asking for AAA but I'm worried I'll get A*AB and I was wondering if anyone had gotten in with missing one grade like this or if they knew of anyone who had? And what the likelihood of me getting in would be?

ReputationRep:
    It works like this ....

The Unis get your results a week before you do. They will obviously accept all those who fulfil the terms of their offer.

IF they have any more spaces (they may not) they then look at 'near misses' - and each subject/course will have its own priorities such as 'must still have an A in Maths', or that they might still consider those with 'points equivalent' (ie. A*AB instead of AAA).

They may decide to take a few of these near misses - or they may decide to see if there is anyone coming through Adjustment or Clearing with the grades they actually wanted, in which case they will put near-misses on hold for several days before they make a decision about accepting/rejecting them.

And btw folks - knowing what any course/Uni did with near misses last year will NOT tell you anything about this year. You haven't got a crystal ball and you cannot know in advance how many current offer holders will achieve their grades THIS year, and that is what the entire 'near miss' process hinges on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    It works like this ....

The Unis get your results a week before you do. They will obviously accept all those who fulfil the terms of their offer.

IF they have any more spaces (they may not) they then look at 'near misses' - and each subject/course will have its own priorities such as 'must still have an A in Maths', or that they might still consider those with 'points equivalent' (ie. A*AB instead of AAA).

They may decide to take a few of these near misses - or they may decide to see if there is anyone coming through Adjustment or Clearing with the grades they actually wanted, in which case they will put near-misses on hold for several days before they make a decision about accepting/rejecting them.

And btw folks - knowing what any course/Uni did with near misses last year will NOT tell you anything about this year. You haven't got a crystal ball and you cannot know in advance how many current offer holders will achieve their grades THIS year, and that is what the entire 'near miss' process hinges on.
    Thank you, sorry for the naivety of my post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss.eleanora)
    Thank you, sorry for the naivety of my post
    You haven't applied to Uni before. That isn't naivety, promise.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.