Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i have no idea which forum to post this in so apologies if i've got it totally wrong. I'm currently 20 and would like to one day go to uni but back when i was in college i got really bad grades in my a levels and uni was basically out of the question. I was thinking recently about completely redoing my a levels through distance learning but i don't really have the time or money as i work full time and have bills to pay. I've heard a lot about access courses being the way to get into uni and noticed i can do them through open university? I was just wondering is this true, and if i did an access course through open university would i actually be able to get into uni? thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i have no idea which forum to post this in so apologies if i've got it totally wrong. I'm currently 20 and would like to one day go to uni but back when i was in college i got really bad grades in my a levels and uni was basically out of the question. I was thinking recently about completely redoing my a levels through distance learning but i don't really have the time or money as i work full time and have bills to pay. I've heard a lot about access courses being the way to get into uni and noticed i can do them through open university? I was just wondering is this true, and if i did an access course through open university would i actually be able to get into uni? thanks
    An Access module through the Open University is really only designed for going onto further study with the Open University. They're a great thing to do if you want to take that route - and it will allow you to work whilst studying for your degree.

If you want to go to a brick uni, some unis might accept the Access modules from the OU, but not all will. The OU Access module isn't the same as an Access course which will allow you to go to uni anywhere. If you want to go elsewhere you'll need to complete a one year full time course.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just finishing mine online with AOLL. You might need to ring your uni and check they are happy to accept the course you are looking at, but if you have the self-discipline it is entirely legitimate. Good luck.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Juno)
    If you want to go to a brick uni, some unis might accept the Access modules from the OU, but not all will.
    :no: OU access modules are, at best, GCSE standard - no university would accept one for entry in lieu of A levels or a traditional Access to HE course. That said, a lot of universities do accept OU credits (at least 60 credits at level 1), but access modules are level 0.

ReputationRep:
    The time & money questions

Money - IF you have no level 3 qualifications it should be free

Time - Some people in my class worked full time and completed the course. They no doubt found it harder and did not get as good as grades as perhaps if they were only doing the course but the way its set up it should not be difficult to combine both and get good enough grades for uni.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation to you recently and looked at the OU Access Course. however, unless your going to study with the OU for your degree i think this is a waste of your time. Every university i spoke to said they would not consider this, by itself, as enough to apply for the course i wanted.

So i then decided to research my local college access courses... turns out that they are not as full on as i previously thought. Part time study can be done in the evening over 2 nights a week or full time tends to be 4 days a week.

I would say look at your local college, see what access courses are available to you. Contact the uni you wish to attend and see if they would consider it as enough to gain access to the course. Don't forget to ask how many credits you need to achieve at distinction, merit or pass...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.