Difference between chromosomes and chromatids?

Watch
RedRosesBloom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Getting really confused between these two? I know that a chromatin is DNA wrapped around a histone protein and I thought that a chromatid was the same as a chromosome 'x-shaped'. But in anaphase 2 it says that the separated chromatids now called chromosomes are pulled to opposite poles of the cell?! So they are not the same thing?
TSR2016
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Chromatids are like the petals of the chromosomes while the chromosome is the whole X shape
IRoranth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RedRosesBloom)
Getting really confused between these two? I know that a chromatin is DNA wrapped around a histone protein and I thought that a chromatid was the same as a chromosome 'x-shaped'. But in anaphase 2 it says that the separated chromatids now called chromosomes are pulled to opposite poles of the cell?! So they are not the same thing?
Chromatids are the 'X' shape separated into two. There are two chromatids, but only one chromosome- i.e. an entire chromosome is the entire 'X' shape.

e.g. during anaphase in mitosis, the chromosome separates into chromatids, which migrate to opposite poles of the cell:

X = I I = (migrate to opposite poles)
RedRosesBloom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by TSR2016)
Chromatids are like the petals of the chromosomes while the chromosome is the whole X shape
ok, thank you
(Original post by IRoranth)
Chromatids are the 'X' shape separated into two. There are two chromatids, but only one chromosome- i.e. an entire chromosome is the entire 'X' shape.

e.g. during anaphase in mitosis, the chromosome separates into chromatids, which migrate to opposite poles of the cell:

X = I I = (migrate to opposite poles)
Right of course, thank you, makes so much more sense! I was referring to anaphase 2 in meiosis though.
IRoranth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RedRosesBloom)
ok, thank you
Right of course, thank you, makes so much more sense! I was referring to anaphase 2 in meiosis though.
It's ok, and yeah I figured if I explained it to you via mitosis it would have been easier to understand Glad I helped.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (52)
28.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.29%
No I am happy with my choice (100)
55.25%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.73%

Watched Threads