Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I had a letter from Student Finance Wales yesterday (didn't see it until today though!) stating that they would only be paying my university around £6,000 this year for tuition fees (although they also said I now had to pay £4,500 ). The tuition fee loan they will pay hasn't changed, but I think they have cancelled my Welsh Government Fee Grant (which pays around £5,000 of the tuition fees).

I changed from four year 'Biology with a Year in Industry' course to a three year 'Biology' course, but apart from that nothing else about the course has changed. I will just be continuing next year instead of taking a year out. I think this must have come up as a change of course on their system, which automatically cancelled the grant or something along those lines?

I don't mind if they cancel the grant (I can't imagine I would ever earn enough to pay it all back anyway!), but I just wanted to know if they will give me a bigger loan to cover the cost because the maximum it let me enter when I started was around £3,000, which isn't enough to cover this.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? What happened?

(Obviously I will contact them as soon as possible, but because its Sunday everything is closed. I'm just really worried about this because I can't pay £4,500 and I just wanted some reassurance it will be okay )
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Firefly13)
    Hello

I had a letter from Student Finance Wales yesterday (didn't see it until today though!) stating that they would only be paying my university around £6,000 this year for tuition fees (although they also said I now had to pay £4,500 ). The tuition fee loan they will pay hasn't changed, but I think they have cancelled my Welsh Government Fee Grant (which pays around £5,000 of the tuition fees).

I changed from four year 'Biology with a Year in Industry' course to a three year 'Biology' course, but apart from that nothing else about the course has changed. I will just be continuing next year instead of taking a year out. I think this must have come up as a change of course on their system, which automatically cancelled the grant or something along those lines?

I don't mind if they cancel the grant (I can't imagine I would ever earn enough to pay it all back anyway!), but I just wanted to know if they will give me a bigger loan to cover the cost because the maximum it let me enter when I started was around £3,000, which isn't enough to cover this.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? What happened?

(Obviously I will contact them as soon as possible, but because its Sunday everything is closed. I'm just really worried about this because I can't pay £4,500 and I just wanted some reassurance it will be okay )
    It sounds like the system thought it was a change of course and it was a computer rather than a person that did it, so i recon you've nothing to worry about and they should reassess you to sort it out without much problems

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE: I called them up today and they said they have my tuition fees for the year as being £3,810 (although they were paying £6,000 because the first two terms were fine, it got a bit complicated!). I need to get my university to contact them and it should all be fine then - probably just an error caused by dropping the year in industry option.

Fingers-crossed my university gets it sorted soon

Thought I'd leave the update incase anyone else has a similar problem in the future because Googling it didn't give me any information!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.