Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused. I want to do English at uni and have been to a few open days. At all of them (including Exeter) they have said how over subscribed the subject is and how you basically need AAB/AAA to be considered. Yet places like Exeter, Southampton, Royal Holloway, Lancaster, etc (all good unis) have places for English for Ucas extra. Why is this?

ReputationRep:
    as they may have lots of applicants, but the majority of applicants will not be good enough! loads will have applied who cannot make the AAA/AAB grades and so the uni's offer up their places to those who get better grades than expected, p'haps from re-sits in january,and therefore have better predicted grades in march or they allow people who applied for the "elite" universities ( well THEY think they are anyway!), e.g. oxbridge, bristol, warwick, to get into good uni's who they didnt apply to before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    as they may have lots of applicants, but the majority of applicants will not be good enough! loads will have applied who cannot make the AAA/AAB grades and so the uni's offer up their places to those who get better grades than expected, p'haps from re-sits in january,and therefore have better predicted grades in march or they allow people who applied for the "elite" universities ( well THEY think they are anyway!), e.g. oxbridge, bristol, warwick, to get into good uni's who they didnt apply to before.
    But Exeter said they have more AAA candidates than they do places? Surely they consider these people good enough?

(Original post by ~Sam~)
    But Exeter said they have more AAA candidates than they do places? Surely they consider these people good enough?
    That may feel that some candidates are not suited to the place / course or they may simply feel that some candidates are not good enough. You should also remember that simply because a course is listed in Extra, it doea not mean that they will accept any low standards etc... you will find that some courses are listed but in reality if you apply with anything less than fantastic grades, they wouldn't even consider you. Some department also try and perpetuate the myth that they are grossely oversubscribed when infact they are not which could account for a course having additional places spare. As you can see, there are loads of reasons why a course may be in Extra and you shouldn't read too much into it being there.

ReputationRep:
    im baffled. i didnt get into warwick to do economics. i wasnt surprised as there were very few places and apparantly thousands of applicants, as its a very well sought after course. yet again, i also see them advertising on ucas extra. i dont understand either. i know i got turned away as i was only predicted ABB and they wanted AAB but if id have applied throught ucas extra (if i hadnt got into exeter ( yay!),) i would have had better predicted grades and would now be on AAA or AAB. it doesnt seem fair if they do offer places to other people at this late stage when they turn so many people away. or if they never intend to offer places on UCAS extra then they shouldnt advertise it! i know this may sound harsh, but i think that people should be made to go through clearing rather than UCAS extra. do i sound like a heartless cow?

im baffled. i didnt get into warwick to do economics. i wasnt surprised as there were very few places and apparantly thousands of applicants, as its a very well sought after course. yet again, i also see them advertising on ucas extra. i dont understand either. i know i got turned away as i was only predicted ABB and they wanted AAB but if id have applied throught ucas extra (if i hadnt got into exeter ( yay!),) i would have had better predicted grades and would now be on AAA or AAB. it doesnt seem fair if they do offer places to other people at this late stage when they turn so many people away. or if they never intend to offer places on UCAS extra then they shouldnt advertise it! i know this may sound harsh, but i think that people should be made to go through clearing rather than UCAS extra. do i sound like a heartless cow?
    Not really, I think your just annoyed that they refused you something becasue of a silly reason and they appear to be offering it to others. You should know that UCAS Extra doesn't allow you to change your application at all though, I think you can change your PS if you have to but you can't do anything about grades and things like that. This means that anyone applying through extra would have had the same chances as you in the normal application time, thus the system is quite fair. I'm sure that they only put places in Extra incase they get an applicant with extrodinary grades wanting to apply at the last minute or someone like myself deciding that they want to go somewhere completely different and sounding quite convincing on the phone.

ReputationRep:
    Often departments will stick all of their courses in to extra. For example, Bristol advertised Bsc physics as having spaces, however it was physics with french that was available - they had just put the whole department in to extra.

The same scenario happens with clearing - some departments will hold out for the best students after results come out and risk hefty fines for not filling courses.

ReputationRep:
    yeah im a sore loser, i know it. lol. im just trying to convince myself that warwick is ****!! im glad i didnt get an offer tho, as i wudnt have wanted to turn them down even tho i didnt like the uni. exeter is much more of a uni that id feel comfortable with; small and close-knit in good old devon - i'll feel at home with the farmer folk! <-----note yet another excuse

im just trying to convince myself that warwick is ****!!
    You shouldn't require much convincing!!!

ReputationRep:
    According to The Times, the average entry points for English at Exeter last year were 24.6.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.