The Student Room Group

GCSE History B 2016 (OCR)

Hi!
I couldn't find a thread for specific History modules so I thought I'd start one!
Idk what the purpose of this thread should be but I guess a good way to go is by asking for help and helping others.

To make things easier, 'introduce' yourself with:
-Paper one topic and code (if known)
-Paper two topic and code (if known)
-Any predictions you have
-Are you confident for the exam?

To start the ball rolling, I'm doing:
Paper 1: Aspects of International Relations (USA with Cold War, AO13)
Paper 2: How British Society Changed (1890-1918, AO21)

I think the compulsory question for the Cold War will be Causes of The Cold War with the choices being Vietnam and Cuba and overall, I feel pretty confident for the exam :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I'm doing the same topics for both paper! But I'm also doing Germany for Paper 1.

I'm a bit worried because I haven't been focusing much on History but I think I'll do okay judging by the tests we have done so far.

Do you have any revision tips? :smile:
Original post by elizaaaaaas
Hey! I'm doing the same topics for both paper! But I'm also doing Germany for Paper 1.

I'm a bit worried because I haven't been focusing much on History but I think I'll do okay judging by the tests we have done so far.

Revise loads of facts! I know paper 2 is now really heavily influenced by how many facts you put in so definitely learn facts and key events! I created some flash cards with loads of facts on :smile:

https://quizlet.com/mattballamy/folders/ocr-gcse-history-cold-war-1945-1975
https://quizlet.com/mattballamy/folders/ocr-gcse-history-america-1919-1931

-Matt
Reply 3
paper 1 . usa land of freedom so civil rights etc.. and international relations up until 1939 , including road to ww2
paper 2 British depth study 1890-1918
Reply 4
i reckon source based questions will be on civil rights , (hopefully). what grade are you on at the moment? and what are you aiming for?
Original post by salty670
i reckon source based questions will be on civil rights , (hopefully). what grade are you on at the moment? and what are you aiming for?

I'm on A*. My paper 1 mock in december was an A* but my Paper 2 an E due to illness whoops :s-smilie: but my Weimar coursework is an A* so I'm confident :smile: you?
Reply 6
I got 50/50 on the coursework but I only ever get a B in the exam. My knowledge isn't too bad, I struggle with the format of the questions. Does anyone have any worksheets or videos which could help me? :redface:
Reply 7
Original post by batt_mellamy
I'm on A*. My paper 1 mock in december was an A* but my Paper 2 an E due to illness whoops :s-smilie: but my Weimar coursework is an A* so I'm confident :smile: you?

not sure about coursework but got A* in paper 1 and A* in paper 2
Paper 1: International Relations with the causes and events of WW1
Paper 2: British Society 1939-1975
Seems hardly any schools do these topics so any revision notes would be so useful
Not worrying about it too much though 'cause have half term to revise!
Reply 9
Original post by salty670
paper 1 . usa land of freedom so civil rights etc.. and international relations up until 1939 , including road to ww2
paper 2 British depth study 1890-1918

Doing the exact same as you!
Original post by elizaaaaaas

I'm doing the exact same as you! :smile:
Paper 1: Cold War and WW1
Paper 2: British Depth Study

I'm really not sure what will come up this year, but I heard that they have changed the format of the papers or changed the number of allocated marks for the paper? Does anyone have any idea who could explain it to me please?

I am feeling fairly confident, I got an A* for my coursework piece on the civil rights movement of the USA, so hopefully all will go well. Good luck everyone!
yeah i was told that swell , I'm going to email my teacher and see btw last years grade boundaries were really low i.e. 47\81 for an A*
Does anyone have any predictions for what topics might come up in International Relations & USA Land of Freedom, and How was British society changed, 1890-1918?
Any revision or exam technique tips? I'm aiming for an A but can never seem to get higher than a B and I'm not really too sure why to be honest. I think my issue may be that I write too much stuff that doesn't get me marks, would anyone have any tips on how to keep things as concise as possible but also get the marks?

Original post by J__
Doing the exact same as you!

I'm doing the same as you too, would you have any revision and exam technique tips? I'm aiming for an A with 39/40 in the controlled assessment, but can never seem to get higher than a B in mocks. Help!!
i hate paper 1 but im rlly gd at paper 2..
Reply 16
Hey, I'm also doing Cold War, Vietnam and Cuban missile crisis and Nazi Germany for paper one does anybody have any predictions on what will come up as the compulsory source question- my teacher thinks Vietnam but I really hope it isn't because it's the one topic I haven't clicked with and id like to avoid it if I could.
Original post by mariam687
i hate paper 1 but im rlly gd at paper 2..

yeah same , think its cause its all just source based
Reply 18
Original post by pentasticpasta
I'm doing the same as you too, would you have any revision and exam technique tips? I'm aiming for an A with 39/40 in the controlled assessment, but can never seem to get higher than a B in mocks. Help!!

Im in the same position as you, i always get B's in the exam. Im fine with the first part - all of the international relations but i can't seem to grasp the American topic, like the civil rights. I just think there is a lot more in that part.
what questions do you struggle on ? the 4,6,10 ones or the source interpretations ?

Quick Reply