The Student Room Group

GCSE History B 2016 (OCR)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pentasticpasta
Does anyone have any predictions for what topics might come up in International Relations & USA Land of Freedom, and How was British society changed, 1890-1918?
Any revision or exam technique tips? I'm aiming for an A but can never seem to get higher than a B and I'm not really too sure why to be honest. I think my issue may be that I write too much stuff that doesn't get me marks, would anyone have any tips on how to keep things as concise as possible but also get the marks?

Predicting Women and the Vote as the main focus of paper 2, with the scoping question being something along the lines of:

'The lives of British Women improved in the period 1890-1918' how far do you agree.

-OR-

'David Lloyd George was a force for good in the period 1890-1918' how far do you agree.
Original post by a-mariaa28
How did everyone find the Vietnam cartoon question and the Eisenhower question?

Vietnam cartoon - I wrote that the cartoonist was supportive of Operation Rolling Thunder as it depicts the air strikes as a way of the USA cutting the communist ties Ho Chi Minh had on Capitalist South Vietnam as they bombed the Ho Chi Minh trail which supplied Viet Cong guerilla fighters with weapons and basic necessities. It was cutting off ties one by one. It shows portrays USA as strong as it's just a hand cutting parts of a big octopus which was Ho Chi Minh. That's the type of things I spoke about and I believe it's somewhat right as the cartoon was published in 1965.

In terms of Eisenhower, I just wrote about how he believed in the Domino Theory and explained what that was and that he also agreed with the Truman Doctrine of containment - I have also recently found out that Eisenhower gave a speech on the domino theory!

What did you write?
Original post by pentasticpasta
Does anyone have any predictions for what topics might come up in International Relations & USA Land of Freedom, and How was British society changed, 1890-1918?
Any revision or exam technique tips? I'm aiming for an A but can never seem to get higher than a B and I'm not really too sure why to be honest. I think my issue may be that I write too much stuff that doesn't get me marks, would anyone have any tips on how to keep things as concise as possible but also get the marks?

No predictions but I have some revision and exam tips (I got an A in my History mock). These will be more paper two based.

- Make sure you know what the question is asking you.
If it's a cartoon question look at where and when it was posted - provenance.
If it's an article look at who wrote it - is it subjective or objective (don't use the term bias)
-When comparing two sources to see which one is more reliable, use own knowledge as well as the source, talk about content, own knowledge and purpose/provenance (COP)

In terms of revision, flashcards are the best. I used to hate them but my teacher made as make them when we finished each unit and I'm so thankful because they've honestly made remembering key info much easier (do it question on one side and answer on the other). When you test yourself to piles, put the ones you get right in one pile and the ones you get wrong in another - test yourself on the ones you don't know more regularly.

However, if flashcards aren't your thing, make a table of questions and fill out the info, revise the info and fill it in again in the following row but cover the answer, do this maybe once or twice a day and you'll be surprised at how much you absorb.

Finally, read examiner reports - they are seriously you're best friend! It tells you what examiners want and what they don't want and gives you a better idea of what you need to write & try your best to stick to timings.

Best of luck! :smile: x
Original post by blessingmariee
Vietnam cartoon - I wrote that the cartoonist was supportive of Operation Rolling Thunder as it depicts the air strikes as a way of the USA cutting the communist ties Ho Chi Minh had on Capitalist South Vietnam as they bombed the Ho Chi Minh trail which supplied Viet Cong guerilla fighters with weapons and basic necessities. It was cutting off ties one by one. It shows portrays USA as strong as it's just a hand cutting parts of a big octopus which was Ho Chi Minh. That's the type of things I spoke about and I believe it's somewhat right as the cartoon was published in 1965.

In terms of Eisenhower, I just wrote about how he believed in the Domino Theory and explained what that was and that he also agreed with the Truman Doctrine of containment - I have also recently found out that Eisenhower gave a speech on the domino theory!

What did you write?

Totally forgot about Operation Rolking Thunder, but just said about how Ho Chi Minh is depicted as the "monster that is communism" and that the tentacles are representing the grip he had on South Vietnam.

For the Eisenhower question I talked about the Domino Theory and the Military Industrial Complex, although I forgot about containment! I mentioned he gave a speech about the Domino Theory in my answer!
Totally forgot about Operation Rolking Thunder, but just said about how Ho Chi Minh is depicted as the "monster that is communism" and that the tentacles are representing the grip he had on South Vietnam.

For the Eisenhower question I talked about the Domino Theory and the Military Industrial Complex, although I forgot about containment! I mentioned he gave a speech about the Domino Theory in my answer!

I think you should be find then, however you might not get full marks on the first question because of the air strikes bit. However that shouldn't make a massive difference overall!
Would saying that the first cartoon, since published in 1965, is telling that the Americans had great confidence that they could defeat North Vietnam be worth any marks? I then went on to write about operation Rolling Thunder, Ho Chi Minh trail etc..
Thanks
I wrote about in the first question on the tentacles how they were critical of operation rolling thunder, as they were only cutting off one head at a time. As well as that how the tentacles are already in South Vietnam meaning cutting them off is too little too late. Lastly i put how they were not stopping Ho-Chi-Minh directly even though he was the cause of the tentacles.
A lot of people are mixed on this question, I know that no matter what you say as long as you evidence the source then you get marks, but I was wondering what people thought was the message.
Original post by blessingmariee

What did you write?

I wrote exactly this thank God plusi said cause it was an American cartoom it is depicting Ho chi minh in a negative way and myb making him look stupid. Plus I didnt know what type of strike so i said myb stopping supplies I wrote a lot on tht question to ensure i gof marks.

I didnt know Eisenhower or whatever his name is. I only know johnson, kennedy and nixon. So i wrote about Domino theory, containment, and i sed tht the ussr and china were helping the vietnamese so the usa had to sed military aid for french and support war effort
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by J__
Doing the exact same as you!

https://quizlet.com/134698751/history-britain-womenteensimmigration-40s-70s-flash-cards/ I made some flash cards for the second paper! Sorry this is so late
Original post by SmithAmelia
Would saying that the first cartoon, since published in 1965, is telling that the Americans had great confidence that they could defeat North Vietnam be worth any marks? I then went on to write about operation Rolling Thunder, Ho Chi Minh trail etc..
Thanks

Not sure about the first but you would get marks for the latter!
Original post by ellamoon_22
I wrote exactly this thank God plusi said cause it was an American cartoom it is depicting Ho chi minh in a negative way and myb making him look stupid. Plus I didnt know what type of strike so i said myb stopping supplies I wrote a lot on tht question to ensure i gof marks.

I didnt know Eisenhower or whatever his name is. I only know johnson, kennedy and nixon. So i wrote about Domino theory, containment, and i sed tht the ussr and china were helping the vietnamese so the usa had to sed military aid for french and support war effort

Seems good! To get full marks you would need context so bombing the Ho Chi Minh trail/Operation Rolling Thunder. Basically as long as what you said made sense and you explained it and talked about what the cartoonists message was, you probably got most marks if not all
I thought I did well on the Vietnam source until I heard everyone elses responses. I said that he source was critical of the USAs tactics especially air strikes because the hand only managed to cut 1 out of many tentacles so there tactics were not entirely effective in stopping the Vietcong. I backed this up with contextual knowledge that the air strikes weren't very effective because they didn't damage the VC underground tunnels and it was extremely expensive. Then I said that the source was critical because despite being published in the US there was lots of home opposition to the war such as protests. Was this wrong??😭
Original post by d.aniel
I thought I did well on the Vietnam source until I heard everyone elses responses. I said that he source was critical of the USAs tactics especially air strikes because the hand only managed to cut 1 out of many tentacles so there tactics were not entirely effective in stopping the Vietcong. I backed this up with contextual knowledge that the air strikes weren't very effective because they didn't damage the VC underground tunnels and it was extremely expensive. Then I said that the source was critical because despite being published in the US there was lots of home opposition to the war such as protests. Was this wrong??😭

probs got a few marks for the bombing part and tunnels etc as long as u used cartoon detail
I found it tricky as only thought we needed to know about Kennedy,Johnson and Nixon sneaky OCR. I discussed French defeat and containment along those lines.
Original post by benno123
Sorry that my prediction didn't work out mate. Was absolutely gutted when I saw Ho Chi Minh and his tentacles pop up!

Haha don't worry, my teacher kept saying Vietnam would come up so I just tried my best to revise for both and wasn't too surprised in the end. Hope your exam went well despite that anyway though.
Original post by d.aniel
Haha don't worry, my teacher kept saying Vietnam would come up so I just tried my best to revise for both and wasn't too surprised in the end. Hope your exam went well despite that anyway though.

Yeah, yours too. I was very happy with the Germany depth study as there was lots to talk about although I heard a few accidentally wrote about Night of the Broken Glass instead of Night of the Long Knives
How did everyone find the Vietnam cartoon question and the Eisenhower question?

I find the vietnam cartoon so easy and I was happy. I didn't know who Eisenhower was but I guessed he was US president, right? I find its question alright and I mentioned about containment, domino theory and weaknesses of south vietnam.

How about you?
Original post by ellamoon_22

OMG same here. I wrote like exactly as you and i also mentioned about weaknesses of south vietnamese. I too had no idea about Eisenhower, I just guessed that he was the US president or something. I hope it was right. I also wrote about containment, domino theory and weaknesses of south vietnamese.

In the cartoon, it was actually easy but I struggled a bit with the air strike, I wrote that USA travelled to Vietnam to stop communism by air strike and USA could do anything to stop communism to spread.....
Hi does anyone know what came up last year on the ocr British society 1939-1975? And does anyone have any predictions for the paper tomorrow?
Thanks
^^ yeah what came up for Britain 1939-75 in January and June 2015, and January 2016? Any ideas? Between 2010 and 2014 immigrants came up 3 times, teenagers 4 times and women 2 times

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending