Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I am so incredibly stuck and I can't seem to work the correct law out and I don't know who to turn to.

    There is a lease granted to someone for a term of 3 years on an outbuilding and someone is looking to buy that property that includes the outbuilding. It does not say whether the land is registered but it was 2006 so I'm assuming so. I just can't work out whether it would take priority or not or whether it would need to be registered because the law has confused me and I don't know what applies.

    Please help

    If the land is registered:
    Leases are capable of being legal (s.1 LPA 1925)
    To be legal, it should have been created by deed, if not but there is an agreement in writing, containing the terms and signed by the parties, there may be an enforceable equitable equivalent.
    If a deed was used, was it noted on the register to reflect what interests reflect the land (bear in mind the lease is for 3 years)
    If for whatever reason this hasn't been complied with, look to equity.
    Is there an enforceable equitable equivalent? If so, should a notice have been entered on the register? (Don't get notice confused with the doctrine of notice).
    If not, look to actual occupation. On reasonable inspection of the property, would the purchaser have realised that someone was in actual occupation?

    If the land is unregistered:
    At law, it's very similar to that of registered land but only trigger events require first registration.
    Equity, again is similar, however you should look to see if the interest could have been protected with a land charge.
    Actual occupation does not apply to registered land.

    In my experience, when it doesn't tell you whether or not the land is registered, the question wants you to consider both.
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.