Turn on thread page Beta

How do you envision the future? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is the future full of faster cars, more technology, more need for efficiency, money saving? Or do you view it as an Armageddon, the human race heading for complete obliteration?

And more importantly, what are you planning to do in the future? What are your goals, ambitions and hopes? What makes you happy?

So many questions I know in one thread. If there's already something like this, then I'll gladly eat my hat and apologise. But until then...go for it! Pray tell.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by khana123)
    Is the future full of faster cars, more technology, more need for efficiency, money saving? Or do you view it as an Armageddon, the human race heading for complete obliteration?

And more importantly, what are you planning to do in the future? What are your goals, ambitions and hopes? What makes you happy?

So many questions I know in one thread. If there's already something like this, then I'll gladly eat my hat and apologise. But until then...go for it! Pray tell.
    I think technology is definitely going to progress, but at a declining rate to what it has over the last 50 years or so... We're still exploring new things, but they're taking a bit of time! Things will become more efficient as well I think, which in turn should save money! Like, technology we've got at the moment is still progressing but look at how much computers have progressed even in the last 10-15 years... There's also the problem of 'capacity'... 10 years ago, when I got my email, it was easy to get my [email protected] whereas now, that's virtually impossible... Things have come, and are being utilised at their full potential that we'd want them, and of course new things will come along as well...

I don't think we've got obliteration right on the horizon, though I don't think it's going to be totally peaceful either... What's to say we won't have a WW3 in the near future...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I think technology is definitely going to progress, but at a declining rate to what it has over the last 50 years or so... We're still exploring new things, but they're taking a bit of time! Things will become more efficient as well I think, which in turn should save money! Like, technology we've got at the moment is still progressing but look at how much computers have progressed even in the last 10-15 years... There's also the problem of 'capacity'... 10 years ago, when I got my email, it was easy to get my [email protected] whereas now, that's virtually impossible... Things have come, and are being utilised at their full potential that we'd want them, and of course new things will come along as well...

I don't think we've got obliteration right on the horizon, though I don't think it's going to be totally peaceful either... What's to say we won't have a WW3 in the near future...?
    Interesting perspective. I never thought about the email thing either.

Thats what novellists, films and dramatists do. Hype up future events. There's this emphasis nowadays- well not so much an emphasis but an inclination towards humanising technology. Because of this obsession with technology- we publish our lives online, we at times in my opinion anyway become detached from reality around us. Although maybe the online world has just become an extension of our lives. But does it mean we become poorer for it? Our communication with other people is not as meaningful. Humanising tech is the idea of more mindful interaction with technology, to ensure we get the best of life. Technology sometimes for me anyway is a distraction.

In the future, it has been said that there would be a rise of digital rehab centres for people who are out of touch with reality. But i guess thats the same as going to a mental health clinic and talking to a therapist.

There needs to be some sort of balance.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by khana123)
    Interesting perspective. I never thought about the email thing either.

Thats what novellists, films and dramatists do. Hype up future events. There's this emphasis nowadays- well not so much an emphasis but an inclination towards humanising technology. Because of this obsession with technology- we publish our lives online, we at times in my opinion anyway become detached from reality around us. Although maybe the online world has just become an extension of our lives. But does it mean we become poorer for it? Our communication with other people is not as meaningful. Humanising tech is the idea of more mindful interaction with technology, to ensure we get the best of life. Technology sometimes for me anyway is a distraction.

In the future, it has been said that there would be a rise of digital rehab centres for people who are out of touch with reality. But i guess thats the same as going to a mental health clinic and talking to a therapist.

There needs to be some sort of balance.
    Yeh, they make it out as though we're going to jetted around tomorrow and stuff, and whilst technology is going that way, for example, driverless cars, things are still quite a way away. I think you're absolutely right about the humanising technology... It seems that a lot of new products, whether software, or actual things, are all about making our lives more convenient, and this is where I disagree with what should be happening. Yes, it's fine that we're making things easier for ourselves, but are we trying to automate too much...? Don't get me wrong, being able to pay using my phone is great... Being able to order online and have it there the next day is great, but do I really need a fridge to tell me what to buy and even automatically order it for me... By automating all these things, which is I guess the technology which is coming to us in the very near future, we're getting lazy... and in my opinion, lazy is not good! I feel there's a lot we should do ourselves, and not rely on technology for...

Again yeh, I spend a lot of time in front of a screen for whatever reason it is, and speak to a lot of people online, but it really isn't the same than going to the bar with a mate or whatever... I think it really depends whether it's in moderation... Skyping someone across the world is great, but talking to someone on Facebook who's next door is kinda lazy imo. But yes, it's a massive distraction, and I try and cut back on technology when I can... Even small things, like, when I'm on the train, I'll try not to sit on my laptop all the time...

There are people who get too involved online, and do have to get therapy for it because they lose touch with reality, and I think that's definitely growing, especially for those who're just coming into it... I guess at least for most of us now, we know what it's like to not have an iPad at 5 years old, even 10-14 years old, whereas for some who're growing up with all this technology, it's only going to grow on them and they'll find it harder to switch off... Digital rehab centres definitely wouldn't surprise me in the future... I guess we could say with drugs becoming less popular in some ways, perhaps an iPad/technology will be the drug of the future.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.