Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting my An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men English GCSE paper tomorrow. I know how to answer the AIC question and part a (the passage) for OMAM, but how do I answer part b??? I know I need context, and I'm revising context now but what else? Like, how do I start the question and how do I structure it? For example, I had a mock where it said something like 'how does Steinbeck present some people being more important than others in the rest of the novel?' and I didn't know how to begin. Like, could I just say 'Crooks is a good example of white people being more important than black people and then bring in some 1930s America context? Then I could start talking about Curley's wife? Like, how do I structure it? Please help, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I really struggle with section B too but it's important just to structure it just as PEA but with social/ historical context as development.

For example:
    P - Crooks' character is used to demonstrate that white people were of more importance than black people at the time.
    E - A quote e.g. Use of terms like "N*****" by white ranch workers
    A - This shows...
    Development with CONTEXT - During the 1930s, there was segregation of the black people from white people e.t.c and link back to the question of importance

Of course, this is really brief but I reckon it's a useful structure to go by as to ensure high marks. Social and historical context is what really matters here

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing OCR? Because you dont have to do both part A and B, you get to choose which you do. Id say avoid part B because you have to know the text really well and the mark scheme is harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieridleyx)
    Are you doing OCR? Because you dont have to do both part A and B, you get to choose which you do. Id say avoid part B because you have to know the text really well and the mark scheme is harder
    No, I think it's AQA because I know I have to do both questions but thabks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bytheseasons)
    I really struggle with section B too but it's important just to structure it just as PEA but with social/ historical context as development.

For example:
    P - Crooks' character is used to demonstrate that white people were of more importance than black people at the time.
    E - A quote e.g. Use of terms like "N*****" by white ranch workers
    A - This shows...
    Development with CONTEXT - During the 1930s, there was segregation of the black people from white people e.t.c and link back to the question of importance

Of course, this is really brief but I reckon it's a useful structure to go by as to ensure high marks. Social and historical context is what really matters here
    Thanks so much, this is really gonna help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.