The Student Room Group

Edexcel Eng Lit - OMAM Predictions???

Which character or theme do you think is most likely to come up?
Do you think that there is a chance that they may switch it up and ask how the context affects the characters and themes?
(ie, how did the great depression have an affect on the way that Curley's wife was treated) sounds stupid to me but i'm trying to think about all types of questions
omg we just had this conversation in revision class today!
Basically, in the Jan 2016 paper the question was "Who suffers most" and this gives like a broad character analysis. So maybe they're gonna do the same like "Who do you consider to be victims" or "How does Steinbeck present the best and worst of human nature". But if it's gonna be a simple character question then most likely it has to do with George.
As for the theme, my class predicted a theme of Isolation.

Also for the Great Depression, make sure you mention that in your opening because that reveals Steinbeck's purpose of the novel and develop it, hence higher marks. Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by zaggalicious
omg we just had this conversation in revision class today!
Basically, in the Jan 2016 paper the question was "Who suffers most" and this gives like a broad character analysis. So maybe they're gonna do the same like "Who do you consider to be victims" or "How does Steinbeck present the best and worst of human nature". But if it's gonna be a simple character question then most likely it has to do with George.
As for the theme, my class predicted a theme of Isolation.

Also for the Great Depression, make sure you mention that in your opening because that reveals Steinbeck's purpose of the novel and develop it, hence higher marks. Good luck! :biggrin:

Thank you so much for this, and good luck to you too!
Could you please give me an example of how I would mention the great depression or other contextual research in the opening of my essay?
Thanks again :smile:
Original post by cdaniels2011
Thank you so much for this, and good luck to you too!
Could you please give me an example of how I would mention the great depression or other contextual research in the opening of my essay?
Thanks again :smile:

Aww thanks! And yeah, sure.

Steinbeck has created an unreal world on the ranch in Soledad; where lonely and dispossessed people who are desperate for work and hope live together as a result of the devastating effects of the Great Depression in the 1930s. The intensity of living together reveals both best and worst of human nature. (Then you can mention some characters you're gonna write about in relation to the question) As the novel continues, Steinbeck creates dreams for each character for survival to such situation.

Hope that sample helps. I'm so nervous for the exam!!
Original post by zaggalicious
Aww thanks! And yeah, sure.

Steinbeck has created an unreal world on the ranch in Soledad; where lonely and dispossessed people who are desperate for work and hope live together as a result of the devastating effects of the Great Depression in the 1930s. The intensity of living together reveals both best and worst of human nature. (Then you can mention some characters you're gonna write about in relation to the question) As the novel continues, Steinbeck creates dreams for each character for survival to such situation.

Hope that sample helps. I'm so nervous for the exam!!

Bloody brilliant! Thank you so much. My teachers have always taught us to write the same, tasteless point-openers for our analysis:
"Steinbeck uses ______ to represent the theme of ______... for example..."
So boring! Thanks for broadening my mind :P

I'm nervous, too. We can only hope that it isn't a confusing question that could be interpreted wrong :s-smilie:
Bloody brilliant! Thank you so much. My teachers have always taught us to write the same, tasteless point-openers for our analysis:

I'm nervous, too. We can only hope that it isn't a confusing question that could be interpreted wrong :s-smilie:

haha you're welcome. Even if you don't know what to write, just blab. They give marks for your explanation anyway lol.

is this for igcsee?
Original post by jackbarry1999
is this for igcsee?

Edexcel Higher
Edexcel Higher

yeah but edexcel igcse drama and prose paper 1
its probably Slim cos the don has never come up - like ever. Or maybe george or lennie

That mandem above made a got point uno, jan 2016 was a weird one.

theme, well i thought perhaps hope or somfink idk
Original post by roadmanchasin£££
its probably Slim cos the don has never come up - like ever. Or maybe george or lennie

That mandem above made a got point uno, jan 2016 was a weird one.

theme, well i thought perhaps hope or somfink idk
maud maud
safe for the predictions innit
Which character or theme do you think is most likely to come up?
Do you think that there is a chance that they may switch it up and ask how the context affects the characters and themes?
(ie, how did the great depression have an affect on the way that Curley's wife was treated) sounds stupid to me but i'm trying to think about all types of questions

If there's a character question it is very likely to be on George as he hasn't come up before (this makes me a bit nervous as I'm way more confident analysing the other characters). In an ideal world the question would be on Curley's wife or Candy... Really worried about it being a random question like not a straightforward character/theme question but I guess I'd just have to find ways to link it to different themes. Reeeealllly hoping for an A/A* on this. I always seem to be hitting high B's in my mocks (without much revision) but I've revised loads for this.
Original post by flyingfish3000
If there's a character question it is very likely to be on George as he hasn't come up before (this makes me a bit nervous as I'm way more confident analysing the other characters). In an ideal world the question would be on Curley's wife or Candy... Really worried about it being a random question like not a straightforward character/theme question but I guess I'd just have to find ways to link it to different themes. Reeeealllly hoping for an A/A* on this. I always seem to be hitting high B's in my mocks (without much revision) but I've revised loads for this.

If you have previously been getting high B's, oh, you will absolutely fly through this paper after revising, so congratulations.

I'm in the same boat as you. For some reason, there seems to be so much to say about George but I feel like it's too obvious to be George. I'd much prefer almost any other character...
maud maud
safe for the predictions innit

dont worry cuz its deep tho cos these dickheads banned bmt watch i'll body whichever yute thought it was funny
Original post by roadmanchasin££
dont worry cuz its deep tho cos these dickheads banned bmt watch i'll body whichever yute thought it was funny

peak g
peak g

trust mans vexed
Original post by roadmanchasin££
trust mans vexed

i got u still g

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending