Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused because my teacher has said for the written exam we should choose one artist and one one designer and choose multiple examples of their work to write about. However on the SQA website it says that we need a minimum of 2 expressive and 2 design areas (aka both historical and contemporary.)

I've only studied one expressive historical artist, and two contemporary designers. Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubbletea99)
    I'm confused because my teacher has said for the written exam we should choose one artist and one one designer and choose multiple examples of their work to write about. However on the SQA website it says that we need a minimum of 2 expressive and 2 design areas (aka both historical and contemporary.)

I've only studied one expressive historical artist, and two contemporary designers. Can anyone help?
    I did higher art last year and I remember doing two. The designers we did were Zaha Hadid and I can't remember the other one. The artists we did were John Bryne and someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubbletea99)

I don't think the time periods matter that greatly, it's just good to have them from different times so it gives you more to compare / contrast.

I'm studying Van Gogh and Matisse (so 2 historical artists), and Frank Lloyd Wright and Frank Gehry (so 1 historical architect and 1 contemporary architect).

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't know what your teacher is saying, but I think you need 2 artists and 2 designers and one piece by each artist / designer to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely need two. In my prelim I only wrote about one for each with examples but only got a maximum of half marks for each because I didn’t exemplify 2

ReputationRep:
    To pass the internally assessed unit you need two designers and two artists. However in the exam you can only do one if you wish!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The way it better works is like this. There's a 10 mark for talking about social context. It would be quite difficult to make 10 fairly good points on just one artist, and so that's why you do 2 expressive and 2 designer. Do 5 points for the first artist, 5 points for the second.
    Same with the first question which could be about mood/atmosphere/form/colour anything like that.
    You CAN only talk about one artist and talk about 2 pieces but it's just overall harder to gain marks that way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.