Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow I have my OMAM [ i've never read the book ] and Unseen Poetry literature exam and I literally have the WORST teacher ever, and he spent 1 lesson on the poetry....... of course, i tried to bring this up to him and he simply stated "theres not enough time.." smh... so i had to result to teaching myself : and unfortunately.. IT HAS NOT WORKED! I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ANNOTATE A POEM!!!!! I am doing the WJEC exam bored --- i know "i cant annotate poems" sounds stupid but i physically cannot do it no matter how many people try to help me.. i simply don't understand how to analyse "language and mood" and "what the writers message is" ect ect ect.
    AND ALSO... I don't know how to approach a "mood and atmosphere" question for the OMAM extract question.... would someone be able to help me PLEASE exam is tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    READ THE BOOK OR WATCH THE MOVIE OR YOU ARE SCEWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED.

Good luck with the exam. I have it tomorrow too haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrFudgeTheGuy)
    READ THE BOOK OR WATCH THE MOVIE OR YOU ARE SCEWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED.

Good luck with the exam. I have it tomorrow too haha.
    i've watched the movie and read one page of the book.... it's literally so painfully boring to read i cannot put myself through it :')

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, you're ****ed

ReputationRep:
    I have the same. Something that has proven to be helpful is the YouTube channel MrBruff. He's an English literature professor and goes over the majority of things on the literature paper. He's completely saved my life with OMAM and An Inspector Calls, as for poetry just focus on annotating things like rhyme scheme and other language techniques. Comment on all of these and then what the poem itself represents. I hope this helps ^-^

ReputationRep:
    For poetry try and note down
    1. techniques (e.g. metaphor, simile, alliteration, onomatopoeia)
    2. rhyme scheme (e.g. AABB, ABAB)
    3. structure (e.g. how many stanzas, lines per stanza, are they all the same size, do the lines run into each other with half a sentence on each line - this is enjambement I think)
    4. what it's about
    5. is there anything that keeps coming up e.g. things breaking, food etc

you should be able to draw some basic things about mood by trying to find key words (e.g. colour, feelings)

ideally you'd explain why certain techniques have been employed and what they make the reader feel but that is probably where you're struggling so focus on at least having some stuff to say

look out for things like single lines/words on their own (for emphasis!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethanyjx)
    Tomorrow I have my OMAM [ i've never read the book ] and Unseen Poetry literature exam and I literally have the WORST teacher ever, and he spent 1 lesson on the poetry....... of course, i tried to bring this up to him and he simply stated "theres not enough time.." smh... so i had to result to teaching myself : and unfortunately.. IT HAS NOT WORKED! I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ANNOTATE A POEM!!!!! I am doing the WJEC exam bored --- i know "i cant annotate poems" sounds stupid but i physically cannot do it no matter how many people try to help me.. i simply don't understand how to analyse "language and mood" and "what the writers message is" ect ect ect.
    AND ALSO... I don't know how to approach a "mood and atmosphere" question for the OMAM extract question.... would someone be able to help me PLEASE exam is tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The best thing would be to use mrbruff and mr Salles videos on youtube to revise for of Mice and Men and Poetry. You really need to have read the book so I suggest you do read the book but if not surely watch the videos I have provided links to below.

In regards to poetry my teacher taught me SMILE
    Structure
    Meaning
    Imagery
    Language
    Effect

Do a paragraph on each of these and remember to compare and contrast each of these as well

With mood and atmosphere do 2/3 PEAZR
    With the 20 mark questions do 5/6 PEAZR

Point
    Evidence (quotations)
    Analyse (Interpretation, alternate interpretation)
    Zoom into language
    Relate to context

These are links to different playlists from both the teachers I mentioned and contain a wealth of educational video's.:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/playlists
    https://www.youtube.com/user/dominicsalles/playlists

ReputationRep:
    IM STUCK ON POETRY ASWELL.. but look up the MITSL grid and try use that to help you with answering a question on poetry..

ReputationRep:
    Anyone stuck on Poetry google WJEC English Literature Teacher's Guide and on page 30 something there is a lot on poetry and what makes a good response. The essay questions for the text are the old ones before context was introduced so I don't think they'll be extremely useful but have a look at poetry. Don't worry, just write about what you think and feel when you read the poem and youll be fine

ReputationRep:
    omg me too wtf! slay my existance!

ReputationRep:
    i've watched the movie and read one page of the book.... it's literally so painfully boring to read i cannot put myself through it :'
    I read it when I was 9 and it's still one of my all time favourites, so I find that offensive.
    To be honest, I'd find it offensive if you poked me in the face so

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.