Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI peoples on here, yet again, yet another thread created by me! just wondering how sort of formal the freshers week ball is? will i have to buy a prom dress? we havent had a formal prom at my school, simply a leavers party so will i have to invest in something - i hear that exeter is know for its ball and "wealthy folk"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    HI peoples on here, yet again, yet another thread created by me! just wondering how sort of formal the freshers week ball is? will i have to buy a prom dress? we havent had a formal prom at my school, simply a leavers party so will i have to invest in something - i hear that exeter is know for its ball and "wealthy folk"
    Well I wore a suit and most girls wear dresses.

U'll use a dress alot if you buy one, this year I've been to 4 formal dinners and 3 balls.

ReputationRep:
    i just wore a black dress from piolet......but it varies from person to person...there were some girls who went all out and did the whole prom dress thing and there were others there in jeans...if i was you, id wear something that looks nice, and as ollie says....something that can be worn more than once.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    ok then, thanx for the advise. i wanted to know as i dont wanna be fussed with sorting something out at the start of being at uni. - its gonna be a scary and weird enough place as it is, without the stress of shopping!! i might just get a simple dress then (bring on the monsoon sale!), i generally 'dont do' dressing up, jeans n flip flops r usually good enough for me, but i might make the effort, if it will be a wise investment!

ReputationRep:
    i dont wanna be fussed with sorting something out at the start of being at uni.
    can i just point out that freshers ball is not in freshers week

ReputationRep:
    ooooooooh i see. when is it then?

ReputationRep:
    what is happening this years freshers week? do u have any insider knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    ooooooooh i see. when is it then?
    Its week 2 or 3 I think. Last year it was the 13th October.

I've no idea whats going on, but I warn you, Its not the best ball but still fun.

Let us know when you get the freshers week guide. I wanna know what I can go to too!

I think ickle_katy is organising the St Lukes Freshers week so she might know maybe :confused:

Apparently this year their going all pc and calling it induction week?!

ReputationRep:
    ive seen on the exeter website their bringing in induction week for 2005, im not sure about 2004, as far as ive seen its still freshers week - oh well, ill take whatevers thrown at me! is there generally stuff for everyone to do and get involved with - ive been told that u wont get along in exeter if ure not really confident and sociable - im quite shy so hoping that i can cope!

ReputationRep:
    sadly, it is "induction week" this year. poo to them, but i cant see it sticking.

Traffic light bop....End of Freshers week...it is the best thing about freshers week...Tis a st lukes thing, but jiffs are more than welcome!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    jiffs? are streatham campus folk considered outsiders?

ReputationRep:
    jiffs? are streatham campus folk considered outsiders?

yeah, but not in a hostile way. it just annoys the lukies that most people on mainsite fail to even registair that we exist. and also it really really annoys some of us that even more mainsiters think that everyone on lukes is a pe student.

if you do venture down....you'll be welcomed with a large glass of snakeyb and ordered to bolt.

if you dont, you'll be ****ged off forever.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    love the way u yet again end that with "love katie"...i'll err make sure i avoid st lukes campus then, but how can i acknowlegde u if i cannot see u? oh well, thankee for ure info anyway! hee hee

ReputationRep:
    Hi There Girls I Think Its Up To The Individual As To What They Wear To The Ball But I Will Say I Went To A Shop In Fore Street And They Sell Ballgowns At Really Good Prices And They Also Give Student Discount.
    This Shop Also Writes Down In A Book What Has Been Sold For What Event So That When Someone Else Goes In For The Same Event They Check This Book To Make Sure That Theres Not Two People Wearing The Same Outfit.
    How Cool Is That As It Horrible Going Somewhere That Someone Else Has Got On The Same Dress.
    They Sell Lipsy There Which Is Well Nice Dresses I Was Really Impressed When I Went In There. The Stock They Sell Is Things That You Wouldnt Be Able To Buy On The High Street, Mainly Dresses I Think. You Girls Should Check It Out As Its One Of My Fav Shops That Ive Seen Since Being In Exeter.
    The Name Of The Shop Is Exclusive Clothing And Its Down The Fore Street Hill Half Way Down On The Right Near To A Sport Shop And Tattoo Shop.
    Anyway I Think I Will Buy A Dress From There As Its Not Badly Priced.
    OH AND THE SHOP IS IN EXETER SORRY I FORGOT TO SAY HEHE

ReputationRep:
    Where do the men get their black tie, white tie etc from. Is it generally Saville Row (Gieves, Turnbull and Asser) or Boss?

ReputationRep:
    Boss .....and theres a brand new hyge one oppening soon....

love Katy***

ReputationRep:
    ooo exclusive thingy is amzing!! and if you ask nicely they also bring in your size etc they are soo nice and as it is a boutique one dress per size... oh and venus clothing does FAB stuff,. i bought a ball skirt / cocktail lenght and corset fomr there and worn them both loads as its poss to mix n match!! (esp for dinners AU dinner, or rugby etc or powderham ball or wine soc or summer or OTC or er.... i am running out of ideas...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.