Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bitterneparkschool.org.uk...W-QP-JUN11.pdf

Can someone give some ideas on what you'd write for the of mice and men question, idk why but I always get confused on the extract questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEstudentt)
    http://www.bitterneparkschool.org.uk...W-QP-JUN11.pdf

Can someone give some ideas on what you'd write for the of mice and men question, idk why but I always get confused on the extract questions
    Hiya
    I did this question in my mock and these are the points I put:
    • George is presented as lonely and solitary despite his relationship with Lennie, then talked about how the solitaire game showed this. I expanded it with the idea that Lennie offers no intellectual challenge to George, and included a quote about Lennie changing the subject at the end of the passage.
    • George is careful & considerate when dealing with Lennie, then talked about 'He used a deliberate, thoughtful, slowness'. I discussed how George has to be like this because Lennie's always getting into trouble, and how the list of three slows the reader so that their pace matches George's actions.
    • George is a role model to Lennie; used 'Lennie followed his words admiringly', then talked about how Lennie follows George in every way, intellectually, literally (such as in the opening passage), and again how George has to do this because he knows that Lennie follows everything he does.
    • George is getting tired of looking after Lennie; 'George sighed', 'an' no messes' - passive tone, use of the verb 'sighed', has a double meaning for both relationships and the messes Lennie keeps getting George into.
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptErin)
    Hiya
    • George is presented as lonely and solitary despite his relationship with Lennie, then talked about how the solitaire game showed this. I expanded it with the idea that Lennie offers no intellectual challenge to George, and included a quote about Lennie changing the subject at the end of the passage.
    • George is careful & considerate when dealing with Lennie, then talked about 'He used a deliberate, thoughtful, slowness'. I discussed how George has to be like this because Lennie's always getting into trouble, and how the list of three slows the reader so that their pace matches George's actions.
    • George is a role model to Lennie; used 'Lennie followed his words admiringly', then talked about how Lennie follows George in every way, intellectually, literally (such as in the opening passage), and again how George has to do this because he knows that Lennie follows everything he does.
    • George is getting tired of looking after Lennie; 'George sighed', 'an' no messes' - passive tone, use of the verb 'sighed', has a double meaning for both relationships and the messes Lennie keeps getting George into.
    Hope that helps
    Great advice CaptErin, you keep popping up on these questions. Good luck on OMAM and the Crucible tomorrow. Remember to look at context - many Americans believed in rugged individualism and thought they could could find their way out of the struggle on their own. This lead to loneliness and a reduction in human sympathy - this is why Lennie and George are so strange as the boss asks ' what stake' George has in Lennie. The reduction in emotional behaviour is suggested Carlson when he says 'what the hell do you suppose is eatin' them two guys.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptErin)
    Hiya
    Hope that helps
    Thank you so much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.