Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in my second year studying occupational therapy. I am halfway through a placement that I hate. After this placement I am free for the summer. I hate the course but I really like university and studying.

I don't hate the course just because of the placement but this placement has made me realise how much i dislike this course. It is too glamourised at uni but it's not the same in practice. I only have one year left so I don't know whether to keep going and do something else afterwards or just quit now and save myself the stress. I really want to be the first one out of my family to graduate but I don't want to be stuck doing something that I hate for the rest of my life.

Any advice or similar experiences?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Charlie678)
    I am in my second year studying occupational therapy. I am halfway through a placement that I hate. After this placement I am free for the summer. I hate the course but I really like university and studying.

I don't hate the course just because of the placement but this placement has made me realise how much i dislike this course. It is too glamourised at uni but it's not the same in practice. I only have one year left so I don't know whether to keep going and do something else afterwards or just quit now and save myself the stress. I really want to be the first one out of my family to graduate but I don't want to be stuck doing something that I hate for the rest of my life.

Any advice or similar experiences?
    It's not quite the same thing but i left a nursing course after 6 months after discovering the realities of placement. If you've stopped imagining being able to do it as a career and feel like you hate it, then i would say leave now. At least then in the future, you would have a chance to do another degree (you should then have 2 years funding left, so would only need to come up with one or try to get straight onto second year entry).

Have you got any ideas in mind about what you want to do instead? This will determine whether it makes sense to complete the degree first and use it as a basis for entry later on, or jump now and effectively start from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Have you got any ideas in mind about what you want to do instead? This will determine whether it makes sense to complete the degree first and use it as a basis for entry later on, or jump now and effectively start from scratch.
    I want to do psychology at the same uni

ReputationRep:
    As you are in your second year, if you wanted to start a new degree you would have to pay for your first year Unless the NHS pays for the degree?
    If not your options are as follows:
    See if you can transfer to the second year of Psychology. But they normally want the degree your on to have similar units / modules for that route to be acceptable.
    Or finish the degree and go on to do Psychology as a 1 year MSc conversion course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It's not quite the same thing but i left a nursing course after 6 months after discovering the realities of placement. If you've stopped imagining being able to do it as a career and feel like you hate it, then i would say leave now. At least then in the future, you would have a chance to do another degree (you should then have 2 years funding left, so would only need to come up with one or try to get straight onto second year entry).
    May I ask what the realities of placement are?
    I'm not going into nursing but just curious ^-^
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by BirdIsWord)
    May I ask what the realities of placement are?
    I'm not going into nursing but just curious ^-^
    12 hour shifts with minimal breaks and physically and mentally were too draining, also I couldn't cope with seeing so many people as distressed as they were when I thoughts would be fine emotionally.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.