The Student Room Group

All nighter before an exam?

Opinions on this. I've done 0 revision!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Himtiaz

why haven't you done any revision?
what exam do you need to revise for?
if you need to do an all nighter then do. however, avoid caffeine drinking throughout the night - you may crash. do drink caffeine before you exam though etc.

however, do the hardest revision earlier on in the night. then the easier stuff in the later hours.

i personally wouldn't recommend an all nighter, but if it has to happen, it has to happen :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only noobs do revision anyway. Just sleep right through to 5 minutes before the exam; sprint to the exam room, and start making stuff up like a 1337 king.
Reply 3
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
why haven't you done any revision?
what exam do you need to revise for?
if you need to do an all nighter then do. however, avoid caffeine drinking throughout the night - you may crash. do drink caffeine before you exam though etc.

however, do the hardest revision earlier on in the night. then the easier stuff in the later hours.

i personally wouldn't recommend an all nighter, but if it has to happen, it has to happen :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got three exams tomorrow and concentrated all my efforts on Religious and the poetry but i haven't done anything for the two texts of LOTF and OMAM.

I was thinking keep going till 3 then get 4 hours sleep
If you havent done any revision, then what makes you think you cna do an all nighter, unless you mean all night watching TV or on TSR?
same loool haven't revised for English lie tomorrow and my ca is at grade B
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
If you havent done any revision, then what makes you think you cna do an all nighter, unless you mean all night watching TV or on TSR?

They did revision for other stuff
Original post by Himtiaz
I've got three exams tomorrow and concentrated all my efforts on Religious and the poetry but i haven't done anything for the two texts of LOTF and OMAM.

I was thinking keep going till 3 then get 4 hours sleep

Just do an all nighter :s-smilie: Its not even 8:00 yet so you have time and it wont be too late if you do 3/4 hours from now
Original post by Himtiaz

I agree but I would recommend at least five hours sleep. I had three exams in one day and had three hours sleep and I was too exhausted to think clearly or read the question properly! Learn from my mistakes!
sometimes it can be hard to find motivation to revise. if you have to do an all nighter i suggest that you try and have breaks in between revising where you get active for a few minutes otherwise you may crash or end up falling asleep.
Original post by Himtiaz

We are in the same position. No don't risk it sleep then wake up early I have set my alarm for 4:30
I tried this for my history exam and it went really bad. I did revise for it too and I knew stuff, but I wanted to sleep in my exam so i kinda only got C for it. I could have done so much better.

Get 9 hours sleep before exam and think positive and make **** up. Legit my life
im gunna pull an all nighter too i mean i say that knowing full well im going to crash and go bed anyways! :s-smilie:
Lol i tried this once and went to sleep at 3am as i couldn't keep my eyes open, unless you don't sleep much at night wouldn't recommend.
Reply 13
All nighter before an exam? Definitely a no. You will feel tired as hell in the exam and wouldn't be able to efficiently think at all. I highly recommend you to just to go to the exam and try your best rather than doing an all nighter.
I would get at least 4hrs sleep. Theres a level at which it becomes counterproductive and sleep is more important than revision. the worst time I find is between 3 and 6.
The poetry exam is on Friday you know...

Anyway, you should be alright if you do an all-nighter as long as you get a decent 5-6 hour sleep and drink caffeine right before the exams.

You don't have to know too much for the books, just make sure you know the characters and the themes.

I'm bricking it as well because we haven't sat a literature mock so I have no idea of how well I'm gonna do (hoping for an A though)
Reply 16
Original post by niv1234
We are in the same position. No don't risk it sleep then wake up early I have set my alarm for 4:30

I'm doing the same as you. I've only revised Section A of the AQA Modern Texts exam tomorrow.

Planning on revising OMAM in the early hours of the morning... Man I hate Literature so much...
If your exam is in the morning, then it's possible. Since you've left it to the very last minute, you may just have to risk it. If it's in the afternoon, I'd recommend doing as much revision as possible till midnight, then sleep for like 3 hours or something and go from there. Get revising and don't give up.
im doing an all nighter for my exam at 9 tomorrow, its fine, will just sleep when i come home from college at 5 so not a biggy, if you think you can go for it, ignore the others on here
Reply 19
All nighters are never really ideal, obviously. You won't be able to think clearly or quickly when it comes to your exam, which could be detrimental to your grade.

However, sometimes (as in your case) it's more important to get all the knowledge you can rather than being able to think straight. If I haven't done much revision the night before an exam, I'll usually prioritise trying to learn as much as possible over sleeping. After all, being able to think quickly isn't going to be of much help if you don't have any knowledge to think about!

Ultimately, you'll have to decide for yourself what is most important for attaining a good grade.

Edit: If you're reading this rather than revising, you've already lost.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest