Moments question Mechanics June 2010 Watch

RBoss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all, was hoping someone could explain where I went wrong on this moments question on an OCR paper. The correct answer is 110N, I've attached both the question and my working

Thanks!

Attachment 536507536509Attachment 536507536509
Attached files
ak111
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The weight is 45g.
You can work out the angle theta by using the 0.15m length they've given you at the bottom to form a right angled triangle with the 0.3m.
Then take moments about P.
voltz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RBoss)
Hi all, was hoping someone could explain where I went wrong on this moments question on an OCR paper. The correct answer is 110N, I've attached both the question and my working

Thanks!

Attachment 536507536509Attachment 536507536509
So you've made a simple error which has complicated this.

First, looking at the definition of a moment:
"Force multiplied by the PERPENDICULAR distance from the pivot"

If you look at the diagram, the force F is perpendicular the the slab of length 0.600m, so we dont have to resolve any angle.

Simple, equal 0.600F to the clockwise moment and solve for F which will give you the answer of 110N.

Hope this helped
RBoss
Rep:
?
(Original post by voltz)
So you've made a simple error which has complicated this.

First, looking at the definition of a moment:
"Force multiplied by the PERPENDICULAR distance from the pivot"

If you look at the diagram, the force F is perpendicular the the slab of length 0.600m, so we dont have to resolve any angle.

Simple, equal 0.600F to the clockwise moment and solve for F which will give you the answer of 110N.

Hope this helped
I'm definitely overlooking something very obvious xD

I only formed the second equation cos theta = weight/F (using vertical resultant force = 0) in an attempt to eliminate the cos theta part from the moments equation, as the weight is not acting perpendicularly to the slab/slope. Surely only the normal component of the weight to the slope needs to be considered in the moments equation?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RBoss)
I'm definitely overlooking something very obvious xD

I only formed the second equation cos theta = weight/F (using vertical resultant force = 0) in an attempt to eliminate the cos theta part from the moments equation, as the weight is not acting perpendicularly to the slab/slope. Surely only the normal component of the weight to the slope needs to be considered in the moments equation?
note: lengths on the exam paper diagram aren't to scale which could cause confusion.

You seem to have overlooked that the vertical component of F should be W/2... though you wrote it on line 1. Not sure if you've confused yourself by trying to make the vertical forces always equal W - but you don't want to do that when you're taking moments, There's a vertical component at the pivot but you can worry about that separately if you need to.

W=45*g = 441 N
cos ϴ = 1/2

fwiw I resolved F vertically and said

cos ϴ = F/Fvert
Fvert cos ϴ = F
W/2 cos ϴ = F

F=W/4
=110 N (3sf)

(there was no need to resolve horizontally for this question)

---
if would also work if you prefer to resolve parallel and perpendicular to the slab
RBoss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
note: lengths on the exam paper diagram aren't to scale which could cause confusion.

You seem to have overlooked that the vertical component of F should be W/2... though you wrote it on line 1. Not sure if you've confused yourself by trying to make the vertical forces always equal W - but you don't want to do that when you're taking moments, There's a vertical component at the pivot but you can worry about that separately if you need to.

W=45*g = 441 N
cos ϴ = 1/2

fwiw I resolved F vertically and said

cos ϴ = F/Fvert
Fvert cos ϴ = F
W/2 cos ϴ = F

F=W/4
=110 N (3sf)

(there was no need to resolve horizontally for this question)

---
if would also work if you prefer to resolve parallel and perpendicular to the slab
Aha, yes. I was looking too much at the parallel/perpendicular components, without considering Fv = W/2, as the gradient of the slope is the same, and F has twice the vertical distance of W... *facepalm*

That's a major bit of thinking space recovered though - thanks a lot for the clear explanation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?