Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I'm considering applying to MML in both French and German at Cambridge, but the thing is that I'm already fluent in French since I'm French, and I have a really good German level because I've been living in Munich for about one year now (although I'm not bilingual: I still study in a French school). Does it harm my chance to get accepted? Should I apply for entirely different languages?Do you know anyone who got accepted although already fluently speaking the studied language?

And last question, I'm taking the IELTS for the English language requirements, but do I need to have a very good knowledge of English literature to get into this course?

Thanks a lot!
    E.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by indvolda)
    Hello everyone,

I'm considering applying to MML in both French and German at Cambridge, but the thing is that I'm already fluent in French since I'm French, and I have a really good German level because I've been living in Munich for about one year now (although I'm not bilingual: I still study in a French school). Does it harm my chance to get accepted? Should I apply for entirely different languages?Do you know anyone who got accepted although already fluently speaking the studied language?

And last question, I'm taking the IELTS for the English language requirements, but do I need to have a very good knowledge of English literature to get into this course?

Thanks a lot!
    E.
    Tagging Saracen's Fez and Paralove for a more expert response.But I doubt MML French is appropriate for a native French speaker.

And no you don't need to know english literature.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by jneill)
    Tagging Saracen's Fez and Paralove for a more export response.But I doubt MML French is appropriate for a native French speaker.

And no you don't need to know english literature.
    Thanks for the tag.

I agree – I don't think it is appropriate to study your first language as part of MML, though you should contact a college or the faculty to get a definitive answer. Quite simply much of what we have done in first-year French is the sort of thing we did with English at school, so you are likely to find it a bit boring and quite easy. For example, I know a fellow MMLer who is Spanish, but they are not studying Spanish as part of the course (whether because they are not allowed to or because they don't see the point I'm not sure).

The German I imagine would be fine, given you're not being taught through the medium of German at the moment, though you are obviously likely to be better at German than people who have lived in the UK their entire life.

I suggest you take up another language ab initio or something to go alongside the German.

Regarding English literature, whilst a good knowledge is likely to be useful in some parts of the course it is far from essential. My own knowledge of English literature is not all that great either and it hasn't caused any real problems.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Thanks a lot!
    E.
    There area few native speakers in MML so I would check with the college you are interested in applying to. Or maybe the faculty.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you so much for answering, very helpful

Oh and sorry but I forgot one question : it's written that you can alternatively choose to study one modern language, and one ancient. But is it possible to study (first year or even after) two modern languages and one ancient? And is it even possible concerning the quantity of work that would be implied?

Sorry for asking so many questions!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you so much for answering, very helpful

Oh and sorry but I forgot one question : it's written that you can alternatively choose to study one modern language, and one ancient. But is it possible to study (first year or even after) two modern languages and one ancient? And is it even possible concerning the quantity of work that would be implied?

Sorry for asking so many questions!
    There are definitely native French speakers/people who live in France who are studying French in my year (much to the annoyance of some of the rest of us!), so yeah contact your college of interest. I did a language ab initio (Spanish) and have found it highly rewarding.

As for combinations of languages, you can do Latin and a modern language (you need both at post A-Level standard though). or Classical Greek (either post A-Level or ab initio), or you can combine one with one of the Asian and Middle Eastern Studies languages - Arabic, Hebrew or Persian.

You have to and can only do two languages in your first year. From second year onward there is the opportunity to pick up a third language, in an 'introduction to the language' papers (other paper options include linguistics and literature, and you pick 3 alongside your language papers, which are compulsory). Such languages are Catalan, Portuguese, Dutch, modern Greek, Ukranian or Polish. However, you can only pick one of these papers in a given year (e.g. Dutch in second year and Catalan in fourth year). They are also managed number papers, so spaces are limited.

If you wanted to be doing two modern and an ancient language, you would have to apply for the modern and ancient, and pick up a third language (modern) from second year onward.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your infos!
    I'll ask to colleges but I think I'll start ab initio another language and German.

Thanks again
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by sarahpr)
    There area few native speakers in MML so I would check with the college you are interested in applying to. Or maybe the faculty.
    (Original post by Paralove)
    There are definitely native French speakers/people who live in France who are studying French in my year (much to the annoyance of some of the rest of us!), so yeah contact your college of interest.
    I am surprised - but there you go

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.