Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else absolutely sh***ing themselves about the exam tomorrow?

FYI, I do Edexcel iGCSE and Romeo and Juliet/ Of Mice and Men are the texts I have studied. I only really started revision yesterday, and even then I haven't done a lot (which is entirely my fault, I really can't complain about being unprepared), but I am so scared. I will at least get a B - you generally only need around 55% for that, and an A is around 65%, so hopefully I will be fine!!

ReputationRep:
    yes im ******** myself. Im scared about wasting time looking for quotes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roobyruth)
    Is anyone else absolutely sh***ing themselves about the exam tomorrow?

FYI, I do Edexcel iGCSE and Romeo and Juliet/ Of Mice and Men are the texts I have studied. I only really started revision yesterday, and even then I haven't done a lot (which is entirely my fault, I really can't complain about being unprepared), but I am so scared. I will at least get a B - you generally only need around 55% for that, and an A is around 65%, so hopefully I will be fine!!
    Hey, I do the same board and books as you. How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macaronat)
    Hey, I do the same board and books as you. How did you find it?
    I found it really hard, I did theme of death for R&J and Slim for OMAM, what about you?

Hopefully the boundaries will be fairly low, I talked to my English teacher straight after the exam and he said it was the hardest paper in a few years so I am hopeful...

ReputationRep:
    I found it really hard, I did theme of death for R&J and Slim for OMAM, what about you?

Hopefully the boundaries will be fairly low, I talked to my English teacher straight after the exam and he said it was the hardest paper in a few years so I am hopeful...
    Oh cool, I did the exact same questions too! I struggled to find decent arguments to compare for Slim so I just went on about how he understands friendship but doesn't involve himself to deeply in such things, and how he's like a perfect example of a man aware of the brutality of reality and weird stuff.

I found Romeo and Juliet pretty hard to do as well.

I hope everyone else found it hard, then the grade boundaries should definitely be lower!

Did you take the coursework route or are you doing another poetry paper?

ReputationRep:
    My daughter has just taken this exam and only did a page an a half for both questions is this enough ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charliedicko)
    My daughter has just taken this exam and only did a page an a half for both questions is this enough ??
    It depends on the grade she's aiming for. If she's tried to do PEE or PEA paragraphs that should still get her the marks but I don't think it sounds long enough for the analysis examiners would want.

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool, I did the exact same questions too! I struggled to find decent arguments to compare for Slim so I just went on about how he understands friendship but doesn't involve himself to deeply in such things, and how he's like a perfect example of a man aware of the brutality of reality and weird stuff.

I hope everyone else found it hard, then the grade boundaries should definitely be lower!

That's funny that we both did exactly the same things! I went a similar route with Slim too and talked about his compassion compared to Carlson and Curley's callousness.

I was a little worried because I only remembered 2-3 quotes for each essay, so I didn't manage to do a proper PEEL and I was worried I wasn't making the right points anyway... but all will be fine!

I took the coursework route I think but I kind of thought all the coursework I did was for English Language. Whatever, I'm so confused right now

ReputationRep:
    That's funny that we both did exactly the same things! I went a similar route with Slim too and talked about his compassion compared to Carlson and Curley's callousness.

I was a little worried because I only remembered 2-3 quotes for each essay, so I didn't manage to do a proper PEEL and I was worried I wasn't making the right points anyway... but all will be fine!

I took the coursework route I think but I kind of thought all the coursework I did was for English Language. Whatever, I'm so confused right now
    English language coursework? Are you doing Spec A English Language? We do Spec B and it involves just 1 3 hour long exam and that's it. No coursework or anything.

We just did a long essay-thing on poems from the anthology and other poems for english literature coursework.

ReputationRep:
    English language coursework? Are you doing Spec A English Language? We do Spec B and it involves just 1 3 hour long exam and that's it. No coursework or anything.

We just did a long essay-thing on poems from the anthology and other poems for english literature coursework.
    Oh I thought that long poem essay was Language coursework. Not sure what Spec, got a 2hour 15min exam though :/

ReputationRep:

What did you write for the theme of death, i was so confused

ReputationRep:

That paper was not hard. Why did nobody do Mercutio. He was the best character to have. The queen Mab speech, his attitude to towards women, the nurse. He blames the feud. He mocks Tybalt, catalyst for tragedy. Slim was fairly easy too. He is tall, steinbeck elevates him straight away, natural authority, contrast with curley. Doubt grade boundaries will be low cuzz other schools do different set texts and their paper may have been easier. Everyone loved the Romeo and Juliet at my school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah_x)
    What did you write for the theme of death, i was so confused
    Uhh I kind of can't remember too much - I seem to have this thing where everything in an exam just leaves my brain straight after I'm done...
    I think I mainly just wrote about character development through the play as a result of death, and the different kinds of death (Juliet and Romeo's deaths of despair and hopelessness, Juliet's "fake" death to escape, Mercutio's death as a result of getting caught up in the feud, Tybalt's death due to Romeo's vengeance). i was slightly worried that I was going too off-topic and not analysing enough, rather just kind of explaining the story, but after talking to friends, they seemed to write pretty much the same stuff so it should be alright.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.