123chem
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...1k&usp=sharing

Paper 1, Question 7.3

I have no idea what they are doing in that one, so any help will be appreciated (and in as much simplicity as possible )
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 123chem)
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...1k&usp=sharing

Paper 1, Question 7.3

I have no idea what they are doing in that one, so any help will be appreciated (and in as much simplicity as possible )
Will walk you through it as a simpleish derivation:

the relationship between the speed of a wave, it's frequency and wavelength is:

\displaystyle f=\frac{v}{\lambda}

from Newton's second law and some approximations (not going to walk you through this bit as it is complicated so just take the result as a given) the speed of a wave on a string is related to the tension,mass and length of a string by:

\displaystyle v=\sqrt{\frac{TL}{m}}

combining these gives us:

\displaystyle f = \frac{1}{\lambda}\sqrt{\frac{TL}  {m}}

We can rearrange this to get:

\displaystyle T = (f\lambda)^2\frac{m}{L}

we will now define  \lambda = 2l where l is the distance between the two fixed points (in this case X and Y). This relates the length between the points and the FUNDAMENTAL wavelength. Since we are using the fundamental wavelength, it also follows that we must use the fundamental frequency. (take it as a given that the tension remains the same regardless which mode we are in).

We can see from the diagram that we are in mode 3. The distance XY is given as 0.66m. We can calculate the fundamental frequency as:

\displaystyle f_{fund} = \frac{f_n}{n} = \frac{330Hz}{3} = 110Hz

substituting in our relation between the fundamental wavelength and the distance XY into our earlier relation we also find that:

\displaystyle T = (2fl)^2\frac{m}{L} = 4(fl)^2\frac{m}{L}

we know the values of l = 0.66m, f = 110Hz, L = 0.91m and m = 3.1g = 3.1\mathrm{x}10^{-3}Kg and can plug these into our equation to get:

\displaystyle T = 4 \mathrm{x} 110^2 \mathrm{x} 0.66^2 \mathrm{x} \frac {3.1\mathrm{x}10^{-3}}{0.91} = 71.8N
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (106)
43.98%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.18%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.07%

Watched Threads