of mice and men- help me analyse this passage?

Watch
jazz_xox_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The very first passage of the book:

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green. The water is warm too, for it has slipped twinkling over the yellow sands in the sunlight before reaching the narrow pool. On one side of the river the golden foothill slopes curve up to the strong and rocky Gabilan Mountains, but on the valley side the water is lined with trees- willows fresh and green with every spring, carrying in their lower leaf junctures the debris of the winter's flooding; and sycamores with mottled, white, recumbent limbs and branches that arch over the pool. On the sandy bankunder the trees the leaves lie deep and socrisp that a lizard makes a great skittering if he runs among them.Rabbits come out of the brush to sit on the sand in the evening,and the damp flats are covered with the night tracks of 'coons, and with the spread pads of dogs from the ranches, and with the split-wedge tracks of deer that come to drink in the dark.

There is a path through the willows and among the sycamores, a path beaten hard by boys coming down from the ranches to swim in the deep pool, and beaten hard by tramps who come wearily down from the highway in the evening to jungle-up near water. In front of the low horizontal limb of a giant sycamore there is an ash pile made by many fires; the limb is worn smooth by men who have sat on it.

Evening of a hot day started the little wind to moving among the leaves. The shade climbed up the hills toward the top. On the sand banks the rabbits sat as quietly as little gray sculptured stones. And then from the direction of the state highway came the sound of footsteps on crispsycamore leaves. The rabbits hurried noiselessly for cover. A stilted heron labored up into the air and pounded down river. For a moment the place was lifeless, and then two men emerged from the path and came into the opening by the green pool.

what points would you say about this passage for the exam tomorrow?
rheaj44
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could talk about the idyllic description like "golden foothills", and that Steinbeck is referring nature to paradise which is disturbed by human presence of "tramps" and "men". Tramps shows context, women are low status and hard for them to find employment. You could also link the rabbits to the American dream - rabbits first introduced here, and a recurring motif throughout the book. Hmm there are probably loads of other points you could make, and also expand the ones I suggested.

Good luck with the exam tomorrow
rheaj44
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DW_0505)
South of "Soledad" - Soledad means hope in Spanish, so the physical location of the novella is south of hope
You could mention something to do with the fact that George and Lennie are using things left by other people, "path beaten hard"

Sorry it's short, that's about all I can think of right now.
Doesn't "Soledad" mean solitary in Spanish? That's what I was taught anyway...
ComedieMusicales
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
South of "Soledad" - Soledad means hope in Spanish, so the physical location of the novella is south of hope
You could mention something to do with the fact that George and Lennie are using things left by other people, "path beaten hard"

Soledad means solitude
cdaniels2011
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ComedieMusicales)
Soledad means solitude

Nope, means loneliness.
Attached files
Jajisjsooa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Soledad means solitude or LONELINESS in Spanish
cdaniels2011
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jajisjsooa)
Soledad means solitude or LONELINESS in Spanish
Better to use loneliness since that's what's considered the theme
jazz_xox_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by rheaj44)
You could talk about the idyllic description like "golden foothills", and that Steinbeck is referring nature to paradise which is disturbed by human presence of "tramps" and "men". Tramps shows context, women are low status and hard for them to find employment. You could also link the rabbits to the American dream - rabbits first introduced here, and a recurring motif throughout the book. Hmm there are probably loads of other points you could make, and also expand the ones I suggested.

Good luck with the exam tomorrow
thank you so so much! good luck too
DW_0505
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cdaniels2011)
Better to use loneliness since that's what's considered the theme
I agree, now I've looked at it on Translate and my notes I was wrong, it is loneliness.
pineapple.girl
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
- Soledad = Solitude in Spanish
- It sounds like paradise and the garden of Eden, which is foreboding as it suggests that something bad will happen to cause its downfall, relating to the numerous religious links in the novella.
- "mottled, white, recumbent limbs" "mottled" = impure and gives the description negative undertones. "White" carries connotations of death. "Limbs" makes the tree sound like a dead person, foreshadowing Lennie's death, which also occurs in this area?
- Similar description in opening of chapter 6 = Cyclical structure
- "Little grey sculptured stones" = they cannot move, linking to the lack of freedom of the men in this era of poverty and despair.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (451)
14.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (425)
13.91%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.63%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.39%

Watched Threads