Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The point of language is too get across a idea. You is all understanding me perfectlie now even if i isnt writing properlie. sum ppl online just need to chill out innit

ReputationRep:
    It's called elitism and prescriptivism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayzar)
    The point of language is too get across an idea. You is all understanding me perfectlie now even if i isnt writing properlie. sum ppl online just need to chill out innit
    Write that to your GCSE English lit exam tomorrow morning

ReputationRep:
    God get a mod to fix that damn title.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For real someone corrected me because I said 'mom' I wanted to elbow that ***** in the face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Write that to your GCSE English lit exam tomorrow morning
    But that's exactly my point. this aint an english exam its online

ReputationRep:
    They're not having enough sex.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. Tbh some of the smartest people I know speak in very fragmented and ungrammatical ways online. One good thing about it is that meaning is always precise, but as you say most of the time you can convey your meaning perfectly well and unambiguously without great grammar

ReputationRep:
    *Why is everyone so obsessed with grammar and spelling?

ReputationRep:
    Because if language keeps evolving like this I won't understand what half the people are on about
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's a basic form of judging someone's level of intelligence. I'd be lying if I said I didn't read a post riddled with grammatical flaws and/or spelling errors and thought "Career in the stock room for this one...".

(Original post by xobeauty)
    For real someone corrected me because I said 'mom' I wanted to elbow that ***** in the face.
    I'm not surprised; "mom" isn't a word.

Maintaining correct spelling and grammar is important because, otherwise, there would be a plethora of incomprehensible dialects within a generation - on the Internet, that is.

I don't see what the problem is with people just writing/speaking properly, other than straight-up laziness. People make all these excuses about what they say still being understandable (to some) in attempts to justify themselves, but in reality they just can't be arsed writing a word out properly.

Also, personally, I find it easier to read when something's written properly. I am dyslexic, and if I see a word that's been transcribed phonetically, I have to stop, deconstruct the letters into their component sounds, and try to decide what actual word best suits the sequence of sounds - taking into account what dialect/accent that person may naturally use. When, however, words are written properly, I recognise them logographically (as most people do).

ReputationRep:
    turn left at the roundabout and it's just past B&Q dear.

ReputationRep:
    I see what you did there - and I applaud you. well played, my chap, well played. jolly good.

ReputationRep:
    title: Why are everyone so obsessed on Grammar and spellnig?

*is
    *spelling
    *grammar
    *with not on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayzar)
    The point of language is too get across a idea. You is all understanding me perfectlie now even if i isnt writing properlie. sum ppl online just need to chill out innit
    LOL!

ReputationRep:
    ~Grammar~
    "the difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you're sh*t"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I'm not surprised; "mom" isn't a word.

Maintaining correct spelling and grammar is important because, otherwise, there would be a plethora of incomprehensible dialects within a generation - on the Internet, that is.

I don't see what the problem is with people just writing/speaking properly, other than straight-up laziness. People make all these excuses about what they say still being understandable (to some) in attempts to justify themselves, but in reality they just can't be arsed writing a word out properly.

Also, personally, I find it easier to read when something's written properly. I am dyslexic, and if I see a word that's been transcribed phonetically, I have to stop, deconstruct the letters into their component sounds, and try to decide what actual word best suits the sequence of sounds - taking into account what dialect/accent that person may naturally use. When, however, words are written properly, I recognise them logographically (as most people do).
    Did you know, all these damn years I had no idea mom isn't the correct way. No ones ever corrected me, even teachers? Wow.

ReputationRep:
    I actually like it when people correct my spelling and grammar but only when they do it politely, some people can be really mean about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    Did you know, all these damn years I had no idea mom isn't the correct way to spell. No ones ever corrected me, even teachers? Wow.
    It is a word. It is the American spelling

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2016
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.