Do i have to go to court because i was "summoned" as a witness? Watch

Clifford699
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
got a letter in the post telling me that i have to go to court as i've been summoned as a witness. It's not for a minor crime either, but a knife attack at a pub.

I really cant be bothered to have to waste my time going to court, surely you cant force someone to do something they don't want to?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
you are not a good person
Clifford699
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
why would that be
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Clifford699)
got a letter in the post telling me that i have to go to court as i've been summoned as a witness. It's not for a minor crime either, but a knife attack at a pub.

I really cant be bothered to have to waste my time going to court, surely you cant force someone to do something they don't want to?
I'm pretty sure that if you're summoned you need to go. I'm not sure what would happen if you didn't go. You would need to check online at a court website. If you are a witness against the defendant, and they have other witnesses that were there, I doubt you'll be there for long, being asked questions. I would check first just in case not going results in a fine or something like tha.
thatgr
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you were summoned not asked smh
Jenx301
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, you have to go. If you just show up you can be arrested and forced to attend court
nathan2k1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Failure to attend on a summons MAY result in a warrant of arrest being issued whereby the court would have the police go out and bring you before the court under part 17 of the Criminal Procedure Rules. Whether this would happen is down to whether the Court does issue a warrant and or whether the police have any resources to enforce it. But the short answer is yes.

There are procedures which can be used if there is any other reasons why you might find it hard to attend and give testimony, being lazy and or simply not wanting to will probably not invoke those vulnerability procedures.
Davide_online
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In addition, OP, check whether the document you received explains the consequences of non-attendance.
One strategy would be to tough it out and do nothing till you receive a warrant. But only you can decide whether you can live with that.
NHM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

You need to attend... Or you can be arrested!
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Fine don't go and then get arrested for dodging court. You're only a witness.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.91%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (326)
63.55%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.68%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed