Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've just done the OCR MEI June 2012 paper and I couldn't work out how to do the last part of question 4

I've looked at the mark scheme and I have no idea why the situation ends up as it is - why the reaction to the surface passes through O.

The COM is \dfrac{49}{16} from O, ie \dfrac{17}{16} from the center of the surface.

Question 4bii) from http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/m3_june_2012.pdf
    Mark scheme is at the bottom of the document.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duskstar)
    Hey, I've just done the OCR MEI June 2012 paper and I couldn't work out how to do the last part of question 4

I've looked at the mark scheme and I have no idea why the situation ends up as it is - why the reaction to the surface passes through O.

The COM is \dfrac{49}{16} from O, ie \dfrac{17}{16} from the center of the surface.

Question 4bii) from http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/m3_june_2012.pdf
    Mark scheme is at the bottom of the document.

Thanks!
    Alhough I do edexcel I will be home in 15 minutes. I will do this question. Main thing to note is that the slope is tangent to the circle and all tangents are perpendicular to the radius. That sorts the question out easily. Note that G lies on this line aswell.
    Reaction is perpendicular to friction(the slope) hence why it passes through O. Not that Fr and R act at piint of contact and G acts at the COM. Take moments about O.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Alhough I do edexcel I will be home in 15 minutes. I will do this question. Main thing to note is that the slope is tangent to the circle and all tangents are perpendicular to the radius. That sorts the question out easily. Note that G lies on this line aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, long time no speak too :P

And actually that sorts it out - the circle has to sit tangent to the slope so the reaction will go through the centre, and I can do the question from there

Idk why I missed over that but I just couldn't get an image of how it would sit on a slope haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duskstar)
    Thanks, long time no speak too :P

And actually that sorts it out - the circle has to sit tangent to the slope so the reaction will go through the centre, and I can do the question from there

Idk why I missed over that but I just couldn't get an image of how it would sit on a slope haha
    Yep
    I did a very similar question on a Delphis paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.