M3 Centre of Mass Question Watch

Duskstar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey, I've just done the OCR MEI June 2012 paper and I couldn't work out how to do the last part of question 4

I've looked at the mark scheme and I have no idea why the situation ends up as it is - why the reaction to the surface passes through O.

The COM is \dfrac{49}{16} from O, ie \dfrac{17}{16} from the center of the surface.

Question 4bii) from http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/m3_june_2012.pdf
Mark scheme is at the bottom of the document.

Thanks!
physicsmaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Duskstar)
Hey, I've just done the OCR MEI June 2012 paper and I couldn't work out how to do the last part of question 4

I've looked at the mark scheme and I have no idea why the situation ends up as it is - why the reaction to the surface passes through O.

The COM is \dfrac{49}{16} from O, ie \dfrac{17}{16} from the center of the surface.

Question 4bii) from http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/m3_june_2012.pdf
Mark scheme is at the bottom of the document.

Thanks!
Alhough I do edexcel I will be home in 15 minutes. I will do this question. Main thing to note is that the slope is tangent to the circle and all tangents are perpendicular to the radius. That sorts the question out easily. Note that G lies on this line aswell.
Reaction is perpendicular to friction(the slope) hence why it passes through O. Not that Fr and R act at piint of contact and G acts at the COM. Take moments about O.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Duskstar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by physicsmaths)
Alhough I do edexcel I will be home in 15 minutes. I will do this question. Main thing to note is that the slope is tangent to the circle and all tangents are perpendicular to the radius. That sorts the question out easily. Note that G lies on this line aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, long time no speak too :P

And actually that sorts it out - the circle has to sit tangent to the slope so the reaction will go through the centre, and I can do the question from there

Idk why I missed over that but I just couldn't get an image of how it would sit on a slope haha
physicsmaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Duskstar)
Thanks, long time no speak too :P

And actually that sorts it out - the circle has to sit tangent to the slope so the reaction will go through the centre, and I can do the question from there

Idk why I missed over that but I just couldn't get an image of how it would sit on a slope haha
Yep
I did a very similar question on a Delphis paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (76)
17.31%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (281)
64.01%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.78%
Not yet but I might (61)
13.9%

Watched Threads