Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am thinking of studying law. I am not sure though. Regarding careers, I really do not know, so that is why I was thinking of studying law because from what I've heard, it's a really good degree to have. I also love languages. For uni, I am hoping to apply for Oxford, Bristol, Warwick, Durham but those are not definite. I got 10 A*s at GCSE which is why I want to go to a really good university and get a good degree. For careers I would love to travel with my job, do something interesting and well paid- e.g., international banking? I do not do Maths A Level. If I wanted a career in international finance would a law degree stand me in good stead? Also what I really want to know is what is a law degree like? I've heard it's dry, dull, and tedious but that's all from people who have not actually studied law. Please help me I am really running out of options.
    Thank you,
    Lucy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyheenan)
    Hello, I am thinking of studying law. I am not sure though. Regarding careers, I really do not know, so that is why I was thinking of studying law because from what I've heard, it's a really good degree to have. I also love languages. For uni, I am hoping to apply for Oxford, Bristol, Warwick, Durham but those are not definite. I got 10 A*s at GCSE which is why I want to go to a really good university and get a good degree. For careers I would love to travel with my job, do something interesting and well paid- e.g., international banking? I do not do Maths A Level. If I wanted a career in international finance would a law degree stand me in good stead? Also what I really want to know is what is a law degree like? I've heard it's dry, dull, and tedious but that's all from people who have not actually studied law. Please help me I am really running out of options.
    Thank you,
    Lucy
    hi, i just replied to another post like this, do whatever you prefer, dont let the prestige of doing law play to much in your mind, either way about half of lawyers havent sudied law and simply do the one year conversion, which are often by big firms if youre good enough, which im guessing you would be if you got 10 a stars.

also, you can do law with a language , or law with eg french/german/hispanic law at uni, so that may give you more variety - beware though, i do law and german law and its incredibly intense and you should have a genuine interest in it if youll do it. either way, yes, a law degree will put in good stead for banking.

i findi generally, from the 180 or so people in my year doing law, none of us really have a passion for law in particular, i think very few people do, its more so about future prospects and prestige but yes i am interested in it, it varies from module to module, eg everyone hates land property law and maybe contract whereas a lot of people like criminal and constitutional law. i found it unbearable at first but have grown into it. my advice would be just try and find an intrinsic interest in all of it and that may guide you through

you generally get 10-15 contact hours a week in lectures and tutorials so a huge amount of it is independent study, doesnt sound hard, but at university it is.

let me know if you have any more questions,

good luck

ReputationRep:
    I study law and french law at oxford find it incredibly dry and tedious. Hit me up with any Qs! really happy to help you understand what it entails etc!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.