Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently study OCR MEI S2.

When calculating normal distribution, such as X-(10, 3^2)
    Calculate the probability of P(x<11)Z
    =(11-10)/3=0.3333333333…

So it is P(z<0.333) or P(z<0.3333)?

For P(z<0.333) gives a probability of 0.6304
    For P(z<0.3333( gives a probability of 0.6305. calculated through 6293+11+(3*4)/10 (Interpolation).

Can someone give me advice whether to use 3 decimal places or 4 decimal places for P(z<0.333) or P(z<0.3333)?

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student6000)
    I am currently study OCR MEI S2.When calculating normal distribution, such as X-(10, 3^2)Calculate the probability of P(x<11)Z=(11-10)/3=0.3333333333So it is P(z<0.333) or P(z<0.3333)?For P(z<0.333) gives a probability of 0.6304For P(z<0.3333( gives a probability of 0.6305. calculated through 6293+11+(3*4)/10 (Interpolation).Can someone give me advice whether to use 3 decimal places or 4 decimal places for P(z<0.333) or P(z<0.3333)?Many thanks.
    I think the mark schemes often use 4 but it says you can also be awarded the marks for 3. Our teacher told us to just use 3 as it saves time but I'd like to see what other people have to say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex621)
    I think the mark schemes often use 4 but it says you can also be awarded the marks for 3. Our teacher told us to just use 3 as it saves time but I'd like to see what other people have to say...
    On the mark scheme they use 3 decimal places. The most recent one also uses 3 d.p. I haven't seen any paper that uses 4 d.p.

I asked my teacher today and he said its fine to use either, but the 4d.p is more accurate. But 3d.p is completely fine and save time.

And yh, I wanna see what other people say too

ReputationRep:
    On the mark scheme they use 3 decimal places. The most recent one also uses 3 d.p. I haven't seen any paper that uses 4 d.p.

I asked my teacher today and he said its fine to use either, but the 4d.p is more accurate. But 3d.p is completely fine and save time.

And yh, I wanna see what other people say too
    Jan 2013 Q2ii uses 4
    So does June 2014 3iii

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex621)
    Jan 2013 Q2ii uses 4
    So does June 2014 3iii
    Oh yeah. I didn't see that.

That doesn't help 😩. I don't know how many decimal spaces to use now.

But on the side of the mark scheme for June 14 3iii, it says "allow 0.1145" which is derived from 3d.p.

But still confused how many d.p to use.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah. I didn't see that.

That doesn't help 😩. I don't know how many decimal spaces to use now.

But on the side of the mark scheme for June 14 3iii, it says "allow 0.1145" which is derived from 3d.p.

But still confused how many d.p to use.
    Haha I don't know either and my teacher doesn't know so I'm going to just use 3.

We never got taught how to use 4 so even if you are supposed to use 4, I won't be able to 😒 I have no clue how you do it :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.