Best biochemistry or similar with French Watch

DeborahMul
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am based in Northern Ireland and find it quite difficult to access information regarding UK mainland universities. I am studying A level Maths, Chemistry, Biology and French. I really want to study biochemistry or similar but keep my French and have an option to study abroad during my placement year. Any advice which are the best universities with good industrial connections where I can continue with French.

It's been a minefield to try and start the search.

Thanks in advance.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
UCAS is the best place to look for this info as it has more or less a complete list of unis offering undergrad courses. You may struggle with the language part of it but lots of unis offer a year abroad.
Nic98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can relate! I am also based in NI and am studying Biology, Chemistry, French & Spanish for AS level.
The University of Manchester incorporates sciences/medicine with a language. A lot of the main Scottish uni's also allow you to study them at the start of your degree (you can continue, but it's more of a minor, I think). There are a few Scottish and English universities that offer major-minors and joint honours (but I believe it's with more general sciences).
The best thing to do is to look online at the university courses.
Another option you can do is to learn languages independently (that is to say, without incorporating it in a degree) -a lot of mainland uni's pride themselves on their language learning facilities available to all of their students.
I think it's a shame that NI doesn't incorporate languages with sciences. What's more, the language learning facilities are pretty limited here. It's so expensive to study in mainland UK - 3 times as much as in NI 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.88%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (27)
15.08%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (65)
36.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (6)
3.35%
No particular grades needed (10)
5.59%