Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I'm currently doing foundation year and thinking about transferring to different uni after the course. How likely they will consider application without reference? I asked my tutors but they said I was supposed to continue studying at the same uni next year so they couldn't write reference for me and I am not allowed to work so I can't get reference from work as well
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by dngttn)
    Hello
    I'm currently doing foundation year and thinking about transferring to different uni after the course. How likely they will consider application without reference? I asked my tutors but they said I was supposed to continue studying at the same uni next year so they couldn't write reference for me and I am not allowed to work so I can't get reference from work as well
    Contact universities directly to see if they'll accept an application for transferring from a foundation year without a reference. It's very unlikely that you'll find anywhere willing to take you without a current academic reference.

I'm surprised your tutors were so unhelpful - is there anyone else on your course you could approach about this? head of year or a lecturer that you get on with. Refusing to provide a reference is very unusual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Contact universities directly to see if they'll accept an application for transferring from a foundation year without a reference. It's very unlikely that you'll find anywhere willing to take you without a current academic reference.

I'm surprised your tutors were so unhelpful - is there anyone else on your course you could approach about this? head of year or a lecturer that you get on with. Refusing to provide a reference is very unusual.
    They said that was their policy and they need to ask their head tutor but they might also reject me if I apply to other unis as well. I emailed uni I want to transfer and waiting for their response now. Thanks for your advice ☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

They said that was their policy and they need to ask their head tutor but they might also reject me if I apply to othser unis as well. I emailed uni I want to transfer and waiting for their response now. Thanks for your advice ☺️
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    They said that was their policy and they need to ask their head tutor but they might also reject me if I apply to othser unis as well. I emailed uni I want to transfer and waiting for their response now. Thanks for your advice ☺️
    Is this a university provided foundation year or one contracted out to a private company (like INTO or Kaplan)?

Do you have a student rep or student union you can approach? If they are deliberately harming your chances to study elsewhere then that's extremely unusual and unethical.

If you have access to a careers service at your current university then sometimes they are able to assist with getting a reference sorted out (and might be able to work with the tutors concerned to educate them on how not to act like dicks).

I'd be tempted to ask the tutor concerned if you could see a copy of the policy document concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if you've encountered someone lazy or a jobsworth who just doesn't want to help and is blaming "policy" for their lack of competence.

ReputationRep:
    they contracted with a private company so it seemed unlikely that students tranfer to another uni after the course. I will talk to them again tomorrow anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    they contracted with a private company so it seemed unlikely that students tranfer to another uni after the course. I will talk to them again tomorrow anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If they're threatening that you will lose your place at their partner university for applying elsewhere then it is worthwhile contacting the student union or similar at the partner university. It's likely that their partner university will stamp down on this sort of behaviour. The private company are supposed to be supporting you - forcing you to progress to only the partner university through threats and intimidation like this isn't what they should be doing.

ReputationRep:
    that's exactly what I think I will talk to the international office if they cannot sort it out

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.