Extended Project choice - Psychological experiment?

Watch
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
i am starting AS level next year and I was wondering about the extended project when i came up with the idea of doing a psychological study or experiment of the other people in my college. i thought this would be very useful to figure out what experiment i do now as when i join the college everyone will be strangers(more or less) so it gives me a wider availability of options for experiments. I have thought about some experiments to do and I am really interested in the relationship experiment by Dr Arthur Aron. i was wondering if anyone had any other psychological experiment ideas that i could try out, not just experiments for relationships but any other experiment. i understand my question is very broad so i will try to narrow it down by saying that i would prefer the extended project to be evolved around the mentality of people,(preferably from the college i am going to). i also like the idea of studying relationships. any thoughts?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 130136)
i am starting AS level next year and I was wondering about the extended project when i came up with the idea of doing a psychological study or experiment of the other people in my college. i thought this would be very useful to figure out what experiment i do now as when i join the college everyone will be strangers(more or less) so it gives me a wider availability of options for experiments. I have thought about some experiments to do and I am really interested in the relationship experiment by Dr Arthur Aron. i was wondering if anyone had any other psychological experiment ideas that i could try out, not just experiments for relationships but any other experiment. i understand my question is very broad so i will try to narrow it down by saying that i would prefer the extended project to be evolved around the mentality of people,(preferably from the college i am going to). i also like the idea of studying relationships. any thoughts?
While this sounds interesting you need to be very careful around conducting research with human participants. In a university environment any research of this type would have to be submitted for approval by the university ethics committee before taking place (even simple things like a survey have to have ethics approval in universities). It's unlikely that your college will have the same safeguards and so you need to do everything you can to make sure that any study or experiments you do follow best practice.

http://www.simplypsychology.org/Ethics.html gives a good overview or the issues around ethical experimentation on human participants.
http://www.bps.org.uk/sites/default/...rch_ethics.pdf is the guidance from the BPS.

Acknowledging this in your EPC and including a discussion of the ethical issues considered and how your study relates to best practice would be great.

This is the sort of issue that might not get highlighted by your college or even by the markers of your EPC but could stir up a huge can of worms if you talk about an EPC that included human research in your application to university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed