The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Plymouth Accommodation

Hi,

I have made Plymouth University my firm choice uni and I am yet to apply for accommodation. I was wondering if anyone could give me the low down on the different options for halls of residence? Like the pros, cons, the noisiest, quietest etc. As I am unsure on which one to apply to. Drake seems to be my favourite at the moment.

Thanks

Connor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Connor, i've just finished my first year on halls in Radnor and have had the best year of my life, here are some pros and cons to it:
pros:
Location- 2 minute walk from uni, co-op, popular bars like Cuba, Bang Bang (its being remodeled), Air, Caffeine Club, Bac Bar and the infamous Jakes. 5 min walk from Drake Circus and town centre. 10 mins from Aldi
Social- Because of the location and sharing a kitchen with 5 other flats mates its easy to find people who you can go out and socialize with. With Radnor they are in smaller blocks of around 6-10 flats so making friends isn't as daunting!
Room- One thing I found was the walls were thick and kept noise out a lot of the time (people will have sex) of course, Radnor is one of the party halls so outside can be rowdy sometimes but it never kept me awake! The room was well designed and me and my now boyfriend pretty much shared a single bed for the last 4 months so there's plenty of room. En-suite is a wet room, don't expect miracles.
Kitchen- Everyone who has ever pre drank in our kitchen has said it's the nicest they had seen, honestly its massive compared to some.
Cons:
Price- I paid £134 a week and for me and my parents wage it was difficult living, and trying to survive on my overdraft because I really wanted to stay in these halls. Figure money out first!

Gilwell- called the Gilwell ghettos for a reason, and if you try to pull and tell them you live in Gilwell, it wont work! It's cheap and right opposite uni, Cuba and Bang Bang, probably the loudest of halls but sociable!
Robbins- it looks like a prison, the layout is weird and its totally not worth. Location and price are amazing though (in the student village of Pilgrim, Gilwell and Radnor)
Pilgrim- literally the same as Radnor just not as cool.
St Thomas- Loads of my friends lived there last year, the kitchen is small but has a modern breakfast bar and sofa which I never had the luxury of. Everyone I know has said they enjoyed living there, the location is around 7-10 mins to uni (it is uphill), 10-20 from Oceana and right next to shops and 5 mins from Drake circus. Great value for money.
Francis Drake- right on campus, if I had the money I would of stayed here it's pretty nice although it is costly and you share a kitchen twice radnors size with 10 people.
Frobisher- posh uni led halls, 3/4beds, reallyyyyy nice kitchens and near St Thomas and shisha bars. Middle class students and medics like this choice.

One halls that I would really recommend looking into is Astor House. It's private but it is only a little more expensive than Radnor. It is right on the Hoe, has amazing rooms and kitchens and has a games room downstairs and a sky lounge on the top floor. Here is where I spent a lot of time revising, I would of really liked to live here. Location - 20-30 min walk to uni, 10- mins to my gym and Walkabout, 2 mins from hoe and town centre

Hope this helped, it's an amazing uni, really welcoming and supportive, the students are fun and the sea makes everyone happy!
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you so much!!

Seems like Radnor would probably be the best place for me then by the sound sounds of it! Do any of the halls have free gym membership or anything like that?

Thanks for your help!
Hi Connor

We have large self contained studios, 15 minute walk from the uni, on site FREE gym and 5 minute walk from PURE gym.

Happy to answer any questions

Michelle
Original post by conconjones
Thank you so much!!

Seems like Radnor would probably be the best place for me then by the sound sounds of it! Do any of the halls have free gym membership or anything like that?

Thanks for your help!

I go to the gym regularly and would recommend not going to the uni one! its like £20 a month and quite small.
I go to 'the gym group' which is a 15 min walk and is £12.99 a month, it is a lot better, larger with really good equipment. I'd be aware of some gyms saying they are £10 a month as you should read the small print!
Oh and definitely be aware of the North Hill poster zombies.
Original post by CRMStudents Plym
Hi Connor

We have large self contained studios, 15 minute walk from the uni, on site FREE gym and 5 minute walk from PURE gym.

Happy to answer any questions

Michelle

Hi I'd be interested in knowing more about this! Looking for accommodation for September.
Reply 6
Hi,

I have an en-suite room available for rent for the next academic year. More info and photos here: http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/devon/plymouth/5646166
Reply 7
Does anyone know how the room numbers work for the Radnor hall? Trying to find others from my flat on the Facebook page :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest