Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    just a quick question, i'm going into year 13 now and from year 12 i'd decided on doing medicine, i got about 8 months volunteering once a week at a hospital for it too, but i changed my mind to vet med recently and was wondering if this volunteering would be relevant for vet med. do you think i need to do EVEN more volunteering around a more animaly environment? its just that i dunno if its been a bit of a waste and i'd want to avoid doing this next year in A2 which is more work than AS. wow that wasn't quick at all oops.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yes you do. Vet schools will want to see evidence that you can appreciate the difference between human and veterinary medicine, by going to placements at small and large animal veterinary practices. In addition they want you to have gained some husbandry related experience in order to better understand how to prevent health problems in animals, ensure that meat/milk/eggs are safe etc etc.

The bare minimum placements are generally considered to be small and large animal vet practices, a kennel/cattery, a stable and a food producing farm (ideally dairy or lambing). Prioritise these, but you can also consider placements at other places that have animals; zoos, labs, pet shops, abattoirs, sanctuaries, dog grooming parlours etc etc. Do your own research but for ease most people try to meet or exceed Liverpool's requirements, which are ten weeks of animal related experience.

Your hospital work can still be relevant and is definitely worth mentioning on your personal statement, but it probably won't be able to be included on work experience forms/questionnaires that get sent out.

The 'Big and Shiny Work Experience Bible' stickied at the top of the forum is well worth a read. Without meaning to put you off, people applying for vet med often start gaining experience years in advance before applying, so you may want to consider a gap year to help strengthen your application. Failing that make sure you do as much as you can this summer. Start booking placements now.

Hope that helped, best of luck

ReputationRep:
    wow that was great thanks, i've had an odd few weeks here and there at animal shelters and vets but will defiantly look to find something more long term thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joseph1234567)
    do you think i need to do EVEN more volunteering around a more animaly environment?
    Definitely.

Sure being able to demonstrate your ability to communicate and work with others is an important part of any vet application. However, extensive veterinary experience helps to demonstrate your dedication, ability to work with animals, awareness of contemporary issues (eg; socioeconomic pressures on farmers, notifiable diseases), etc, etc, etc.

By all means mention your existing experience on your PS in the context of communication and team work skills just be aware that you will need at least 10 weeks (ie; 2-4 weeks veterinary practice, 2-4 weeks dairy/lambing, 2-4 weeks riding school/stables, 2-4 weeks kennels/cattery) relevant work experience to be a competitive applicant.

its just that i dunno if its been a bit of a waste and i'd want to avoid doing this next year in A2 which is more work than AS. wow that wasn't quick at all oops.
    The sooner you get it done the better.

With a bit of planning you can easily notch up 6-10 weeks of relevant work experience a year (eg; 4 weeks in the summer, a week at X-mas, a week at Easter and a extra week or two in the summer or during one or more of the half terms) while still allowing for time off to relax and revise.

ReputationRep:
    Great thread! Anyone know anything about Cornell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samtodd16)
    Great thread! Anyone know anything about Cornell?
    You need to have at least 60 semester credits in courses they have listed on their website in order to apply.
    You can't apply straight from school, as you have to go to university first.
    The academic and work experience requirements for UK students are the same as for the "out of state" students.
    Also as far as I know, they don't have any places dedicated for students outside of the US and you will be in direct competition with "out of state" students.
    The fees are also tremendous and you are not eligible for any student loans.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.