Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,I want to study medicine and need some advice on what routes I should take.
    I’m 22 years old and have been out of education for 4 years now; I’m currently working as a Theatre Technician in General Surgery at my city hospital and am starting an Access to HE Diploma (Biology and Chemistry)in September 2016.
    My current grades are as follows: HE Double Award Diploma in Media Studies (I chose this instead of A Levels) GCSE’s - Math’s,English and English Lit B - Science,Science Double Award C.
    I’m considering resitting my GCSE’s next year whilst I study my Diploma as I know they need to be better. Should this be a definite priority?
    I know I’m very far off any Universities accepting me which is why I need some advice. I’m considering studying Biomedical Sciences after my HE Diploma to then apply for post grad Med courses – Medipathway’s 2 year BSc. seems to be the better option right now as it’s a quicker route and they guarantee a conditional offer from a Med school abroad (which I won’t mind going to as I’m so passionate about studying medicine).
    Am I taking a right path to get into medicine? Are there an ybetter options that I could take? I know other colleges offer medicine foundation years; would this be a better option than the Science Diploma I’ll be enrolling into?
    I’m going to pull out on all the stops to get into medicine,I was lazy with my previous studies as I never had a drive, but working in General Surgery has inspired me so much.
    I appreciate all contributing advice!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Michaellatte)
    Hey guys,I want to study medicine and need some advice on what routes I should take.
    I’m 22 years old and have been out of education for 4 years now; I’m currently working as a Theatre Technician in General Surgery at my city hospital and am starting an Access to HE Diploma (Biology and Chemistry)in September 2016.
    My current grades are as follows: HE Double Award Diploma in Media Studies (I chose this instead of A Levels) GCSE’s - Math’s,English and English Lit B - Science,Science Double Award C.
    I’m considering resitting my GCSE’s next year whilst I study my Diploma as I know they need to be better. Should this be a definite priority?
    I know I’m very far off any Universities accepting me which is why I need some advice. I’m considering studying Biomedical Sciences after my HE Diploma to then apply for post grad Med courses – Medipathway’s 2 year BSc. seems to be the better option right now as it’s a quicker route and they guarantee a conditional offer from a Med school abroad (which I won’t mind going to as I’m so passionate about studying medicine).
    Am I taking a right path to get into medicine? Are there an ybetter options that I could take? I know other colleges offer medicine foundation years; would this be a better option than the Science Diploma I’ll be enrolling into?
    I’m going to pull out on all the stops to get into medicine,I was lazy with my previous studies as I never had a drive, but working in General Surgery has inspired me so much.
    go for it !!!

ReputationRep:
    I am 22 and only starting my degree in Sept. i want to go into the gaming industry but didn't have the qualifications to get into the course I ideally wanted to do. Instead I looked at all my options, and decided to chose the one that would get me through my degree sooner, with the content that I really wanted to focus on. Rather than going back to college to get a HNC in Computer Science, then applying to uni the year after, for a course that maybe wasn't 100% suited to me.
    I would weigh up the pros and cons of each course, and see which is better for you, I really don't know anything about medical courses so can't provide any comparison for courses for you. If studying abroad is what you want to do and they would give you a conditional, and you are adamant to meet said conditions I don't see why not.
    Like I say I'd weight up pros and cons of both, remember to include costs over everything too as money will be a big factor in which route you choose, unless money isn't a worry and you were given a small loan of a million pounds! :P
    If it is for you, it won't go past you. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLouSmart)
    I am 22 and only starting my degree in Sept. i want to go into the gaming industry but didn't have the qualifications to get into the course I ideally wanted to do. Instead I looked at all my options, and decided to chose the one that would get me through my degree sooner, with the content that I really wanted to focus on. Rather than going back to college to get a HNC in Computer Science, then applying to uni the year after, for a course that maybe wasn't 100% suited to me.
    I would weigh up the pros and cons of each course, and see which is better for you, I really don't know anything about medical courses so can't provide any comparison for courses for you. If studying abroad is what you want to do and they would give you a conditional, and you are adamant to meet said conditions I don't see why not.
    Like I say I'd weight up pros and cons of both, remember to include costs over everything too as money will be a big factor in which route you choose, unless money isn't a worry and you were given a small loan of a million pounds! :P
    If it is for you, it won't go past you. Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice - I think I'll call around the different universities for further advice. At the moment the 2 year Bio-med Sciences at Medipathways seems the best route, I'm just not sure about the actual college itself as I've read so many mixed reviews!

Best of luck with your studies!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice - I think I'll call around the different universities for further advice. At the moment the 2 year Bio-med Sciences at Medipathways seems the best route, I'm just not sure about the actual college itself as I've read so many mixed reviews!

Best of luck with your studies!
    That seems like I good plan. See what they all say. Just remember about reviews, you will always have people that will complain about the smallest aspect of the place, and try to drag it down by being petty.
    The college I went to had mixed reviews, but I ended up loving it there. See if you can go to open days too, get a feel for the place if you haven't been before, that might help make up your mind too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.