Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with how the process works, as I've been told so many different bits of information, so I'm not sure what is what to be honest! I have a number of questions:
    -Do they look at your GCSE grades?
    -Are AS Level grades really important (I'm from Wales so we do AS's)?
    -Will they give offers to those with ,say, one grade less than required for the entry requirements?

The reason I'm asking is I had 9A*s and 3As at GCSE, and am taking the 3 sciences and maths for AS Level, with the intention of carrying on biol,chem and maths. However, my dad died in March, and that and the time spent at the beginning of the year helping him means I've lost out on a lot of revision and it's been quite a difficult time for me afterwards too. I feel I'm going to get say BBBC rather than my school's original prediction of A*AAB. I've got loads of relevant work experience and many different extra-curricular activities, as well as all the skills I need to be a doctor, it's just the academic side I'm worried about now. If anyone can help me out, or anybody who's been through the process for medicine last year or before, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by georgie_niamhx)
    I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with how the process works, as I've been told so many different bits of information, so I'm not sure what is what to be honest! I have a number of questions:
    -Will they give offers to those with ,say, one grade less than required for the entry requirements?

The reason I'm asking is I had 9A*s and 3As at GCSE, and am taking the 3 sciences and maths for AS Level, with the intention of carrying on biol,chem and maths. However, my dad died in March, and that and the time spent at the beginning of the year helping him means I've lost out on a lot of revision and it's been quite a difficult time for me afterwards too. I feel I'm going to get say BBBC rather than my school's original prediction of A*AAB. I've got loads of relevant work experience and many different extra-curricular activities, as well as all the skills I need to be a doctor, it's just the academic side I'm worried about now. If anyone can help me out, or anybody who's been through the process for medicine last year or before, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!
    Heya, I've just moved this to the medicine section of the site - someone will be able to help here

ReputationRep:

Sorry to hear about your dad.

In answer to your questions: -

- All of them look at GCSEs, some to a greater extent than others. For some they are a minimum requirement and once you have exceeded that requirement having better grades doesn't improve your chances; for others they rank very strictly on GCSE grades (alongside other things like BMAT/UKCAT) when selecting for interview. Oxford, Cardiff and Birmingham are known for being particularly keen on high GCSEs, can't think of any others off the top of my head but you should check each uni's requirements.
    - Nobody really knows how it's going to work this year, as the system has changed. Whatever you achieve at AS, you need to be predicted AAA or better at A2 to stand a realistic chance. One of the official TSR reps, the Medic Portal, have made a table of responses they've received from universities about this question here
    - If you're talking post-A-level applicants, no - they want people to have met the standard offer. If you mean predictions are lower than AAA, then it's possible but unlikely that you'd be made an offer. Obviously your referee can mention your extenuating circumstances in their reference though, to explain your relatively worse AS performance and that they are (hopefully!) confident things will improve next year.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Sorry to hear about your dad.

In answer to your questions: -

- All of them look at GCSEs, some to a greater extent than others. For some they are a minimum requirement and once you have exceeded that requirement having better grades doesn't improve your chances; for others they rank very strictly on GCSE grades (alongside other things like BMAT/UKCAT) when selecting for interview. Oxford, Cardiff and Birmingham are known for being particularly keen on high GCSEs, can't think of any others off the top of my head but you should check each uni's requirements.
    - Nobody really knows how it's going to work this year, as the system has changed. Whatever you achieve at AS, you need to be predicted AAA or better at A2 to stand a realistic chance. One of the official TSR reps, the Medic Portal, have made a table of responses they've received from universities about this question here
    - If you're talking post-A-level applicants, no - they want people to have met the standard offer. If you mean predictions are lower than AAA, then it's possible but unlikely that you'd be made an offer. Obviously your referee can mention your extenuating circumstances in their reference though, to explain your relatively worse AS performance and that they are (hopefully!) confident things will improve next year.

Good luck!
    thank you! this really helped, just looking at that uni requirements table now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Im really sorry to hear about your dad xx

Universities do look at GCSE grades, and because every medical school has a different admissions process you will find many variants in the way they are viewed as well as the emphasis put on them before interviews are offered. I will give you examples:
    - Cardiff university rank your best 9 GCSEs (including english, maths and science) with an A* being 3, a A being 2 and a B being 1 point. this is added up to give a score out of 27, and each year a cut off score is made for interview. cardiff often require in excess of 6A* for interview (but the previous 2 years it has been 8A*s) - this is probably the most GCSE heavy medical school.
    - Manchester university require you to meet a minimum standard in your GCSEs and then it is never looked at again. - I would class this as a non-GCSE heavy medical school.

there are variants between these two, like I said every med school is different, but your GCSE grades are very strong and you should be hugely proud!

Again for AS grades it varies, some use it in decision making pre-interview but most nowadays just like you to meet a minimum cut off which is a set grade in the dropped AS as a minimum. and then they expect predicted AAA grades for A2 (meaning you would have had to perform well at AS). Now I can understand your dilemma here, but if you filed extenuating circumstances (if you havent already I would) then the events in your life will be taken into account. If this doesnt work you can always apply with achieved A2 grades of AAA after a gap year.

Usually in terms of conditional offers, if you dont meet the entry requirements (such as GCSE grades or poor AS for example) then you will unlikely get an offer (or interview for that matter) because there is so much competition and so many candidates will meet the offer requirements. after interview if you recieve a conditional offer yet on results day fail to get the grade by 1 (so get AAB) then every medical school has different ideas on whether you should be let in or not. some are more strict than others.

But honestly, my opinion is you have a really strong chance at medicine here, your GCSE grades are outstanding and even if your AS grades suffer I am very confident you will be able to pull it out of the bag at A2 with a few resits and help of extenuating circumstances being in your favor.

Good luck with absolutely everything, and im sure you will make your dad very proud! Iif you need any help or advice feel free to contact me (I am a medic at cardiff and would be very willing to help if you choose to apply there also!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Im really sorry to hear about your dad xx

Universities do look at GCSE grades, and because every medical school has a different admissions process you will find many variants in the way they are viewed as well as the emphasis put on them before interviews are offered. I will give you examples:
    - Cardiff university rank your best 9 GCSEs (including english, maths and science) with an A* being 3, a A being 2 and a B being 1 point. this is added up to give a score out of 27, and each year a cut off score is made for interview. cardiff often require in excess of 6A* for interview (but the previous 2 years it has been 8A*s) - is probably the most GCSE heavy medical school.
    - Manchester university require you to meet a minimum standard in your GCSEs and then it is never looked at again. - I would class this as a non-GCSE heavy medical school.

there are variants between these two, like I said every med school is different, but your GCSE grades are very strong and you should be hugely proud!

Again for AS grades it varies, some use it in decision making pre-interview but most nowadays just like you to meet a minimum cut off which is a set grade in the dropped AS as a minimum. and then they expect predicted AAA grades for A2 (meaning you would have had to perform well at AS). Now I can understand your dilemma here, but if you filed extenuating circumstances (if you havent already I would) then the events in your life will be taken into account. If this doesnt work you can always apply with achieved A2 grades of AAA after a gap year.

Usually in terms of conditional offers, if you dont meet the entry requirements (such as GCSE grades or poor AS for example) then you will unlikely get an offer (or interview for that matter) because there is so much competition and so many candidates will meet the offer requirements. after interview if you recieve a conditional offer yet on results day fail to get the grade by 1 (so get AAB) then every medical school has different ideas on whether you should be let in or not. some are more strict than others.

But honestly, my opinion is you have a really strong chance at medicine here, your GCSE grades are outstanding and even if your AS grades suffer I am very confident you will be able to pull it out of the bag at A2 with a few resits and help of extenuating circumstances being in your favor.

Good luck with absolutely everything, and im sure you will make your dad very proud! Iif you need any help or advice feel free to contact me (I am a medic at cardiff and would be very willing to help if you choose to apply there also!)
    thank you this was really helpful! After how these past exams have gone I doubt I'm going to get even Ds or Cs 😒 Cardiff is my first choice, funnily enough!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    thank you this was really helpful! After how these past exams have gone I doubt I'm going to get even Ds or Cs 😒 Cardiff is my first choice, funnily enough!
    well you are in strong suit for cardiff with those GCSEs! if you need any further help after you have gotten your results feel free to PM me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    well you are in strong suit for cardiff with those GCSEs! if you need any further help after you have gotten your results feel free to PM me!
    I probably will do, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Stay positive. I'm sure they've gone better than you think. Like others have said your GCSEs will definitely help you. Speak to your school about mentioning extenuating circumstances and wait and see how results day goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.