The Student Room Group

Guardian University League Tables 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosemondtan
St Andrews is 3rd??? Surrey and Loughborough are 4th?! Lancaster is 8th?!?!?!?!?! You must be kidding me please don't follow league tables guys it's a load of marketing and bias.

I don't know why you're surprised at St Andrews. It's the third year in a row it's been third and it's been in the top 5 since The Guardian produced league tables.
Even though it's a bit nonsense...

I'm glad Bristol is number 38.
Original post by Julieplec
Pfft, hark at her... Someone who bases various aspects of University purely on prestige. Really? Do you even have any university offers?

You must be really bad at interpreting what people say because I mentioned NOTHING about prestige. Stop twisting my words. I am in AS, I'm applying this year and I'm an international student so I'm unfamiliar with other less (quoting you) "PRESTIGIOUS" universities. If you get so butthurt over something I wasn't even implying well.....good on you. I said NOT to follow league tables in general because they're biased. Learn to read every detail into what someone says before jumping to a conclusion. Also, switching to personal attacks? Typical. I've seen that before.
St Andrews is 3rd??? Surrey and Loughborough are 4th?! Lancaster is 8th?!?!?!?!?! You must be kidding me please don't follow league tables guys it's a load of marketing and bias.

These unis are actually really good :smile: I agree you don't have to base your whole decision on league tables but it gives you a good starting point
Original post by fionathebest
These unis are actually really good :smile: I agree you don't have to base your whole decision on league tables but it gives you a good starting point

I don't disagree! League tables shouldn't be the main part of your final decision though :smile:
Hull needs to stop playing with it's yo-yo.
2015 - 75th
2016 - 54th
2017 - 71st
:tongue:
You must be really bad at interpreting what people say because I mentioned NOTHING about prestige. Stop twisting my words. I am in AS, I'm applying this year and I'm an international student so I'm unfamiliar with other less (quoting you) "PRESTIGIOUS" universities. If you get so butthurt over something I wasn't even implying well.....good on you. I said NOT to follow league tables in general because they're biased. Learn to read every detail into what someone says before jumping to a conclusion. Also, switching to personal attacks? Typical. I've seen that before.

Personal attacks? How so? How would you suggest choosing universities then? I read every detail by the way :smile:

And you're in AS so I'm not sure how you're qualified to judge university quality
(edited 7 years ago)
Personal attacks? How so? How would you suggest choosing universities then? I read every detail by the way :smile:

And you're in AS so I'm not sure how you're qualified to judge university quality

A personal attack is a statement that is often fallacious in nature which targets the person and not the comment. i.e. It was unrelated to what I said, and you were just being rude.

So if I were to attempt to follow your train of thought, you're suggesting that matured students are better qualified to judge university quality than AS students or GCSE students simply because of age? That does not make any sense, I'm sorry 😂

Once again, I never implied these universities were in any way subordinate to the other universities, you kind of just picked it out yourself :smile: look - you're the only one who actually thought I meant what you said, so that's your problem. I'm not gonna reply after this because I'm just wasting my breath explaining myself when you're still hell bent on your own interpretation loooool
A personal attack is a statement that is often fallacious in nature which targets the person and not the comment. i.e. It was unrelated to what I said, and you were just being rude.

So if I were to attempt to follow your train of thought, you're suggesting that matured students are better qualified to judge university quality than AS students or GCSE students simply because of age? That does not make any sense, I'm sorry 😂

Once again, I never implied these universities were in any way subordinate to the other universities, you kind of just picked it out yourself :smile: look - you're the only one who actually thought I meant what you said, so that's your problem. I'm not gonna reply after this because I'm just wasting my breath explaining myself when you're still hell bent on your own interpretation loooool

You're trying too hard hun. Firstly, you've contradicted yourself by saying you're not familiar with universities in the UK as a result of your international status, yet you have the audacity to mock Universities like Surrey and St Andrews, which by any standards are excellent universities!

I received 3 medicine offers, if you're so easily offended by criticisms, you aren't going to get far in medicine. It's inevitable A2 students will know more about Universities than those doing their AS or GCSE exams. Take myself for example, I've visited various University open days and I'm adamant I know a lot more than you regarding university choices.

This is a student forum...? Hence my counter argument to your complete disregard to universities other than Oxbridge. Good luck getting into medicine with such an attitude, you'll certainly need it! Ignore me all you like, it's simply indicative of the fact you know you're completely incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're trying too hard hun. Firstly, you've contradicted yourself by saying you're not familiar with universities in the UK as a result of your international status, yet you have the audacity to mock Universities like Surrey and St Andrews, which by any standards are excellent universities!

I received 3 medicine offers, if you're so easily offended by criticisms, you aren't going to get far in medicine. It's inevitable A2 students will know more about Universities than those doing their AS or GCSE exams. Take myself for example, I've visited various University open days and I'm adamant I know a lot more than you regarding university choices.

This is a student forum...? Hence my counter argument to your complete disregard to universities other than Oxbridge. Good luck getting into medicine with such an attitude, you'll certainly need it! Ignore me all you like, it's simply indicative of the fact you know you're completely incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a clear difference between criticism and attacking someone. "Do you even have any university offers?" Lol. You didn't give any constructive criticism, you merely shot me down for what I said. I could obtain no useful information from whatever you said. How do you know I was mocking them?

Ah, I've been to quite a number of Uni open days myself. Maybe you've been to every single one on the country? Good job. That doesn't make you know more than I do. Unless you're in that university, you won't know what it's like to be there.

So you're trying to use your three offers to scare me off? C-l-a-s-s-i-c. Stop being sour.
Original post by liverpool786110
Herts 94th! Shock, horror!

What's actually happening? 😭
Reply 51
Im deciding between City or Brunel for Economics at the moment, any insights please?
City seems higher, but I keep hearing not to trust league tables....Plus apparently City has a high failure rate for Econ, but havent seen this on any league tables?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MVA786
Im deciding between City or Brunel for Economics at the moment, any insights please?
City seems higher, but I keep hearing not to trust league tables....Plus apparently City has a high failure rate for Econ, but havent seen this on any league tables?

Use unistats to drill into the data used in the league tables.
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10000961FT-L100UECON-FT-BSC/ReturnTo/Search
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10001478FT-USECON/ReturnTo/Search

click through ALL of the different tabs and decide what matters to you (eg in the employment tab - City has a much higher rate of unemployment but those people who do get jobs are more likely to be in "professional" jobs, so it could just be that grads from city are less likely to need to get any old job to pay the bills | Brunel has an awful score for feedback being helpful/detailed on student satisfaction, but their students are more satisfied with the student union, organisation, library and personal development | Brunel has 100% exams in the first year but that drops off dramatically in the following years, City has a heavy exams focus throughout the course, More students at Brunel get a 2i or 1st than at City and fewer drop out after first year).

There's no right or wrong answers - all of these things should just give you the information to decide what suits you best and to ask the right questions.
Not even half way into 2016 and there's rankings out for 2017. Logic...
Damn, I should reject my UCL offer and try reapplying for Loughborough next year then
Original post by kprime2
Not even half way into 2016 and there's rankings out for 2017. Logic...

These rankings are designed to "inform" applicants for 2017 entry. The Times started that method of naming back in 94
Original post by Konahagakure
What's actually happening? 😭

Savage
Original post by PQ
These rankings are designed to "inform" applicants for 2017 entry. The Times started that method of naming back in 94

I'm aware. But still 2017 applicants apply around September - January. They should at least let the academic year finish
There is a clear difference between criticism and attacking someone. "Do you even have any university offers?" Lol. You didn't give any constructive criticism, you merely shot me down for what I said. I could obtain no useful information from whatever you said. How do you know I was mocking them?

Ah, I've been to quite a number of Uni open days myself. Maybe you've been to every single one on the country? Good job. That doesn't make you know more than I do. Unless you're in that university, you won't know what it's like to be there.

So you're trying to use your three offers to scare me off? C-l-a-s-s-i-c. Stop being sour.

I don't intend to give constructive criticism to a University rankings snob. I haven't been to every university in the country, don't patronise me.

I'm not trying to use my three offers to scare you off, merely expressing the fact I have more knowledge regarding universities and their rankings.

In addition, why is there a whole CV in your profile? That's excessive! One would think you're trying to 'show off' - eww
Reply 59
Original post by PQ
Use unistats to drill into the data used in the league tables.
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10000961FT-L100UECON-FT-BSC/ReturnTo/Search
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10001478FT-USECON/ReturnTo/Search

click through ALL of the different tabs and decide what matters to you (eg in the employment tab - City has a much higher rate of unemployment but those people who do get jobs are more likely to be in "professional" jobs, so it could just be that grads from city are less likely to need to get any old job to pay the bills | Brunel has an awful score for feedback being helpful/detailed on student satisfaction, but their students are more satisfied with the student union, organisation, library and personal development | Brunel has 100% exams in the first year but that drops off dramatically in the following years, City has a heavy exams focus throughout the course, More students at Brunel get a 2i or 1st than at City and fewer drop out after first year).

There's no right or wrong answers - all of these things should just give you the information to decide what suits you best and to ask the right questions.

Thanks for your reply :smile:

I`ve looked through Unistats and the unemployment rate does get me concerned. Plus I`ve been to Brunel and liked it whereas with City I havent been so dont know what its like, but the higher rankings for City are appealing. With Brunel I failed first year and was told I could wait a year and reapply to a different course or go to another Uni. I`ve got conditional offer from them, but unconditional from City.

Unfortunately the City forum here isnt very active, so cant see much insights from current students :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending