Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello all, am currently trying to write a semiotic analysis essay and was hoping someone can help with sorting out the correct terms to use. I've read so much at this point but every time I try to apply it I get really confused. Basically the meaning of the ad I'm looking at now works on two levels:
    1. the models featured are all icons of their time and are very famous in fashion circles (but perhaps not so much to the average person flicking through the magazine) therefore using them for this specific ad creates a specific meaning
    2. The fashion image resembles a very famous art photograph which also helps to reinforce the same message
    In particular am struggling in how to use connotation and signified correctly
    Would really appreciate your help!

What is the ad?
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.