The Student Room Group

German Writing Controlled Assessment

So I'm doing a German writing controlled assessment. I couldn't really b e in a worse position as my teacher lost my German paragraphs, so i had to write them out all again. She gave me some notes upon it as she felt bad for losing it, but one of her notes I cant understand. Here's the original sentence:
Mein Urlaub hat in die Vereinigten Staaten gewesen.
Then the note says:
hat - gewesen - use war.
Anyone know what on earth she means?!
Original post by Rosswaldron27
So I'm doing a German writing controlled assessment. I couldn't really b e in a worse position as my teacher lost my German paragraphs, so i had to write them out all again. She gave me some notes upon it as she felt bad for losing it, but one of her notes I cant understand. Here's the original sentence:
Mein Urlaub hat in die Vereinigten Staaten gewesen.
Then the note says:
hat - gewesen - use war.
Anyone know what on earth she means?!

'hat gewesen' is grammatically incorrect. Gewesen is the past participle of the verb sein. Instead of using the verb haben, you should use sein. In this case, it should've been ist... gewesen.

Your teacher is trying to tell you to use the preterite tense, which is a lot more common for the verb sein. It should therefore be: Mein Urlaub war in den Vereinigten Staaten.

(You may not have been taught this yet, but after the German word 'in', you should use either the accusative or dative case which is 'den' in this case - don't worry about it if you haven't been taught about cases!)
You're a life saver, thank you so much!
Out of interest when is it and what exam board?
Original post by The_JoKeR
Out of interest when is it and what exam board?

Um... Its kinda tomorrow but i have a photogrpahic memory so its all good. And i belive its aqa.

Quick Reply

Latest