I didn't write a conclusion today in my English Literature Exam. Watch

Hassnain Aslam
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So today I did my English Literature GCSE which was both Mice and Men and inspector calls. Im entitled to extra time so for inspector calls I took it and was finishing off my last quote analysis , before the invigilator took it. The same story was for the mice and men. I did use structure, quotes, and themes through out my essays. However I am very worried I didn't add any conclusions to them.
username2471155
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hassnain Aslam)
So today I did my English Literature GCSE which was both Mice and Men and inspector calls. Im entitled to extra time so for inspector calls I took it and was finishing off my last quote analysis , before the invigilator took it. The same story was for the mice and men. I did use structure, quotes, and themes through out my essays. However I am very worried I didn't add any conclusions to them.
You won't lose any marks you just won't gain any I think
Hassnain Aslam
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Okay, but I am very worried this is going to affect my overall grade, as I want a B or C. On literature.
shinebrighterx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Neither did I. I don't think it matters. It's good to have a conclusion though cause then it'd mean you have good structure but I think it's all chills as long as the points in your paragraphs are good and that you've answered the question.
rebeccamaria
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I didnt either but apparently introductions and conclusions don't count.
SilverWater
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Think a conc would be "nice" especially for AIC and if you can quote overload.

Don't think you need to for Part A or part B but it would be nice in Part B imo
bethanyjx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lol it's okay I had a poem to infer from and I thought it was about a fish monger but apparently it was about a prostitute hmmmm
tagliatilly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did this exam a few years ago and intros/conclusions really aren't the most important things in the world! You can still get a top grade as long as your body paragraphs are really good. I resat my AS level English lit the other day and didn't have time to write a conclusion either. Ideally you would have one but it really doesn't matter all that much!
emmerneedshelp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bethanyjx)
lol it's okay I had a poem to infer from and I thought it was about a fish monger but apparently it was about a prostitute hmmmm
did you do wjec english lit today?
BanterNuts
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which question did you pick for OMAM and AIC?
Clarinet_478
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Don't worry. I did of Mice and Men and Crucible and spoke to teacher before hand and she said only do a conclusion of you have time because it is unlikely to get you any extra marks 😀 How did everyone find the questions? I thought that they were really hard!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rebeccamaria)
I didnt either but apparently introductions and conclusions don't count.
Where does it say that?
11ahf
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Where does it say that?
My school's a grammar where the vast majority of pupils are getting A/A* in English lit and they actively advise us not to write conclusions or introductions as they're a waste of time. A sentence at the end of each paragraph linking your explanation back to the original question does the trick.
rebeccamaria
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Where does it say that?
I was told this before i entered the exam, to not spend too much time on the intro or conc because, you dont get marks for it
alexalexalex.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What was the AIC question for you guys? (Im doing a different course)
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 11ahf)
My school's a grammar where the vast majority of pupils are getting A/A* in English lit and they actively advise us not to write conclusions or introductions as they're a waste of time. A sentence at the end of each paragraph linking your explanation back to the original question does the trick.
Ok. never did me any harm. Guess things have changed. Is iit the same for A levels?
11ahf
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok. never did me any harm. Guess things have changed. Is it the same for A levels?
Of course, it's harmless, no examiner's going to complain at having a nice introduction or conclusion. I think it's just because they would rather we spent our time on writing actual points - I would add them in if I have about 3 minutes left at the end! My school's been advising against them for years, so I don't think much has changed!

I have little clue about English lit A level but if you're expected to have a more cohesive essay at A level, then they're probably a good idea. Ask your teacher and see if they're worth any credit!
Anon_98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If it's of any consolation I forgot to write in paragraphs (lol) in of one of my lit exams.. (must've been too excited to get all those connotations down.. :dontknow: ) and still came out with an A which isn't the best but meh. Try not to worry too much about it.- As long as everything else is good then it'll hopefully turn out fine. :'3
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 11ahf)
Of course, it's harmless, no examiner's going to complain at having a nice introduction or conclusion. I think it's just because they would rather we spent our time on writing actual points - I would add them in if I have about 3 minutes left at the end! My school's been advising against them for years, so I don't think much has changed!

I have little clue about English lit A level but if you're expected to have a more cohesive essay at A level, then they're probably a good idea. Ask your teacher and see if they're worth any credit!
I can see the point with intros, but a sentence or two is going to take 2 mins.
Missing conclusions I think is different as I do think you score marks if you make pertinent points and its what all your other paragraphs have been leading up to.

I can see how some of the AQA questions dont really require a full essay structure.
Just seems odd to me to write an essay without either, but perhaps its just GCSE?
username2174765
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It might be my exam board but i never write a conclusion and i usually get A* so i wouldn't worry as your analysis is more valuable than a conclusion
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.72%
Excited (151)
8.97%
Worried (303)
18%
Terrified (376)
22.34%
Meh (159)
9.45%
Confused (37)
2.2%