The Student Room Group

Textiles AQA 24th May

So I think I'm kind of screwed for this exam as my teacher hasn't taught us that much and I haven't done that much revision myself...

Does anyone know how to revise for this exam? e.g. what resources to use, topics most important to learn and how to learn them

Also what kind of ideas do you have for the designing question on marine life? It's a great theme but we have no idea what kind of textile product we'll be making lol
Original post by pixiefuller
So I think I'm kind of screwed for this exam as my teacher hasn't taught us that much and I haven't done that much revision myself...

Does anyone know how to revise for this exam? e.g. what resources to use, topics most important to learn and how to learn them

Also what kind of ideas do you have for the designing question on marine life? It's a great theme but we have no idea what kind of textile product we'll be making lol

Hi! I moved this to the Creative Arts forum for you - you're more likely to get a good answer here :h:
Reply 2
Hi! We were given the GCSE D&T textiles book (aqa specification) - CGP! I thinks its available on amazon! Its pretty good! Mainly for section B! For section A they have mebtioned the theme is Marine so practice initial and final designs 👍
Hey
It doesn't specify what product to design but my teacher said to make it as creative/crazy as you can. Try and use loads of surface decorations, components (electrical too, like led lights) and a range of fabrics including smart and modern
I am exactly the same, my teacher gave us some crappy revision booklets and that's it, and she only gave them to us 3 weeks ago. But because I have had loads of other more important exams, I haven't started to revise yet.
Fort the design question, I recommend making your own mood board as the ones you get in the exams literally only have 4 pictures on, but make it simple so that you can remember it but you need at least 8 different techniques, at least the use of 4 different materials, mention recycling at least twice. Also mention the use of a modern technology (smart fabric), and you need to include a hanging/fastening method depending on what you're designing. Also when you're colouring in your design make sure you shade the design as this will boost marks.
For the theory side to it the topics you need to revise are:
-Recycling fabrics
-Fairtrade
-Fabrics and Fibres
-Constructing fabrics
-Equipment and tools
-Ethical goods
-Smart materials and technical textiles
-Modelling colour and decoration
-Regulations and standards
-Health and safety
-Industrial clothing manufacture
-Properties of fabrics and fibres
-Stages in the design process
-Ergonomics and Anthropometrics
-Labelling
-Patterns
-Health and safety
-Social and moral issues
Reply 5
hey im also sitting the same exam and we were taught that the most important thiings were:
generic and basic properties of each fibre
types of finishes
fibre processes and yarn types e.g fancy yarns
types of printing
CAD and CAM (important!!)

good luck and hope it helps :smile:
Hey I was just wandering if anyone had any ideas about tomorrow's exam, and useful things to revise X
Reply 7
uh hahhaaha no?? marine life based products or different fabrics and textures. there'll probably be a smart materials//modern fabric question, an environmental question, maybe a technology in production question and then a health and safety one too but honestly no idea hahah
Reply 8
Original post by minaok
uh hahhaaha no?? marine life based products or different fabrics and textures. there'll probably be a smart materials//modern fabric question, an environmental question, maybe a technology in production question and then a health and safety one too but honestly no idea hahah

Theres always questions on environment and health and safety - the exam is split into sections with these as the headings xD

How did you think it went? I thought it was pretty good. I need an A (ish) in the exam to get A overall and thats only about 90- 100 marks, a lot of room to mess up in but not affect my grade
I'm unsure on how I thought it went! I believe that most sections went well, but sometimes it's hard to think of a logical answer haha
Reply 10
Original post by Georgiamae_xD
I'm unsure on how I thought it went! I believe that most sections went well, but sometimes it's hard to think of a logical answer haha

Agreed, honestly... 4 components of a tent? Honestly i don't know much about tents but surely they cant have that many
Original post by Georgiamae_xD

Agree, but there's one question that doesn't make sense. It says something like "how does electronic devices protect the health and comfort of an user?" - wtf, how can it protect itself? We alll know that electronic devices include heat, light (thermotic, photochromic etc) - it can be dangerous because it can cause spark or burn
Original post by sophia.f
Agree, but there's one question that doesn't make sense. It says something like "how does electronic devices protect the health and comfort of an user?" - wtf, how can it protect itself? We alll know that electronic devices include heat, light (thermotic, photochromic etc) - it can be dangerous because it can cause spark or burn

That question bugged me so much.. It was the 'trouser' part that ha dme really stumped. What kind of electronics do you put in trousers??
I've got a mock on this and I'm struggling so much any thoughts on what to revise ☹️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending