Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UCAS 'apply' online - another one of my seemingly dumb questions! watch

ReputationRep:
    When using the online application form ('Apply') do you have to enter your qualifications and/or chosen courses & unis in alphabetical order like you would have to do on the paper form?? Or will it sort them automatically?

ReputationRep:
    auto sorted into correct categories

ReputationRep:
    If I recall correctly, yes. You have to put them in, in alphabetical order. Same with the institutions.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have to put in your employment history on the application form? Does it look bad if you haven't ever had a job?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't look bad if you've never had a job. It can be a positive thing in that you've been concentrating on your studies and other hobbies to have enough time for a job.

ReputationRep:
    UCAS Apply does all the stuff like sorting into alphabetical order itself - that's why it's (supposedly) so good.
    If you're unsure you can always preview how it will look.

ReputationRep:
    This is a fair question, nowhere in any of the literature which I have i.e. the UCAS apply online guide - does it state entries have to be alphabetical.

My institutions are totally random in order.

My qualifications started off being alphabetical, but I forgot about GCSE Maths, lol. So it's alphabetical, except Maths is after Statistics - so it's a **** up basically.

I don't think this matters - surely it will autosort at some point in the process.

My personal statement won't format properly though! :confused:
    No matter how I tweak it, the line spacing is completely erratic for about five lines i.e. about two words on a line and a massive space. :confused: - things like this do matter! I'm going to have to retype mine altogether, as it doesn't like paste jobs. Yet I can't type it in the space provided, because the ******* thing will timeout! I'm stuck. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    When using the online application form ('Apply') do you have to enter your qualifications and/or chosen courses & unis in alphabetical order like you would have to do on the paper form?? Or will it sort them automatically?
    I recommend use the paper form it's far easier in my opinion, and you can actually fit more text in on yer personal statement. Contradicitaly, I used apply online but i thought it was so much hassle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    I recommend use the paper form it's far easier in my opinion, and you can actually fit more text in on yer personal statement. Contradicitaly, I used apply online but i thought it was so much hassle
    I'd heard rumour that they UCAS are stopping paper applications, either in the coming application cycle or the one after.

I would agree though, the electronic one is hassle! I still haven't managed to get the formatting correct on my PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I'd heard rumour that they UCAS are stopping paper applications, either in the coming application cycle or the one after.
    It wouldn't suprise me, from a business point of view it's a great innovation, will safe loads of time and money. Though I suppose there the problem that a small minority of applicants don't have access to a computer, but I suppose that could be overcome somehow.

Electronic all the way, only you get the PS and reference sorted you can get it done in about an hour.

ReputationRep:
    I read in The Guardian education thingy that they were going to phase out the paper application. I liked the online one, I thought it was pretty simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I read in The Guardian education thingy that they were going to phase out the paper application. I liked the online one, I thought it was pretty simple.
    Apart from it arsing me around with the formatting on my PS - it's cool.

The institution/course entry saves a lot of hassle with writing in correct institution codes, course codes, campus codes etc.

What happens when I click 'finished' for every section - can I still edit it beyond this if I need/want to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Apart from it arsing me around with the formatting on my PS - it's cool.

The institution/course entry saves a lot of hassle with writing in correct institution codes, course codes, campus codes etc.

What happens when I click 'finished' for every section - can I still edit it beyond this if I need/want to?
    I just pasted my ps in from word and it worked fine.

You can still edit it up until your send it to you referee. Even then they can send it back to you if you ask them nicely. (Mine did this so that I could change one of my courses)

ReputationRep:
    they dont want fancy formatting on a PS, that's the point! All they want is paragraphing, which is what you can do in the online form. It makes it much clearer that what is getting you a place is WHAT you've written, not HOW you've written it (when I say How, I refer to formatting, not sentance structure).

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.