UCAS 'apply' online - another one of my seemingly dumb questions!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
When using the online application form ('Apply') do you have to enter your qualifications and/or chosen courses & unis in alphabetical order like you would have to do on the paper form?? Or will it sort them automatically?
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
auto sorted into correct categories
Leonux
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If I recall correctly, yes. You have to put them in, in alphabetical order. Same with the institutions.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Why do you have to put in your employment history on the application form? Does it look bad if you haven't ever had a job?
Leonux
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It doesn't look bad if you've never had a job. It can be a positive thing in that you've been concentrating on your studies and other hobbies to have enough time for a job.
Alphie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
UCAS Apply does all the stuff like sorting into alphabetical order itself - that's why it's (supposedly) so good.
If you're unsure you can always preview how it will look.
mobbdeeprob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This is a fair question, nowhere in any of the literature which I have i.e. the UCAS apply online guide - does it state entries have to be alphabetical.

My institutions are totally random in order.

My qualifications started off being alphabetical, but I forgot about GCSE Maths, lol. So it's alphabetical, except Maths is after Statistics - so it's a **** up basically.

I don't think this matters - surely it will autosort at some point in the process.

My personal statement won't format properly though! :confused:
No matter how I tweak it, the line spacing is completely erratic for about five lines i.e. about two words on a line and a massive space. :confused: - things like this do matter! I'm going to have to retype mine altogether, as it doesn't like paste jobs. Yet I can't type it in the space provided, because the ******* thing will timeout! I'm stuck. :confused:
ResidentEvil
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
When using the online application form ('Apply') do you have to enter your qualifications and/or chosen courses & unis in alphabetical order like you would have to do on the paper form?? Or will it sort them automatically?
I recommend use the paper form it's far easier in my opinion, and you can actually fit more text in on yer personal statement. Contradicitaly, I used apply online but i thought it was so much hassle
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ResidentEvil)
I recommend use the paper form it's far easier in my opinion, and you can actually fit more text in on yer personal statement. Contradicitaly, I used apply online but i thought it was so much hassle
I'd heard rumour that they UCAS are stopping paper applications, either in the coming application cycle or the one after.

I would agree though, the electronic one is hassle! I still haven't managed to get the formatting correct on my PS.
BazTheMoney
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
I'd heard rumour that they UCAS are stopping paper applications, either in the coming application cycle or the one after.
It wouldn't suprise me, from a business point of view it's a great innovation, will safe loads of time and money. Though I suppose there the problem that a small minority of applicants don't have access to a computer, but I suppose that could be overcome somehow.

Electronic all the way, only you get the PS and reference sorted you can get it done in about an hour.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I read in The Guardian education thingy that they were going to phase out the paper application. I liked the online one, I thought it was pretty simple.
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
I read in The Guardian education thingy that they were going to phase out the paper application. I liked the online one, I thought it was pretty simple.
Apart from it arsing me around with the formatting on my PS - it's cool.

The institution/course entry saves a lot of hassle with writing in correct institution codes, course codes, campus codes etc.

What happens when I click 'finished' for every section - can I still edit it beyond this if I need/want to?
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
Apart from it arsing me around with the formatting on my PS - it's cool.

The institution/course entry saves a lot of hassle with writing in correct institution codes, course codes, campus codes etc.

What happens when I click 'finished' for every section - can I still edit it beyond this if I need/want to?
I just pasted my ps in from word and it worked fine.

You can still edit it up until your send it to you referee. Even then they can send it back to you if you ask them nicely. (Mine did this so that I could change one of my courses)
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
they dont want fancy formatting on a PS, that's the point! All they want is paragraphing, which is what you can do in the online form. It makes it much clearer that what is getting you a place is WHAT you've written, not HOW you've written it (when I say How, I refer to formatting, not sentance structure).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (92)
13.94%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (54)
8.18%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (85)
12.88%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (79)
11.97%
Other reasons are stopping me going (84)
12.73%
Nothing is stopping me going (266)
40.3%

Watched Threads