The Student Room Group

Physics help!!

Whats the different amount of energy like in solids, liquids and gases?
Gases have the most kinetic energy. They are free to move as they have no fixed bonds holding them in place
Liquids have the next highest of the 3 states, however, they are held by bonds and are not as free to move, they can flow etc.
Solids have the least kinetic energy. They can only vibrate about a fixed position due to strong bonds holding them in place
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Gases have the most kinetic energy. They are free to move as they have no fixed bonds holding them in place
Liquids have the next highest of the 3 states, however, they are held by bonds and are not as free to move, they can flow etc.
Solids have the least kinetic energy. They can only vibrate about a fixed position due to strong bonds holding them in place

Thankyou so much!!!
If its okay could you answer this other question, what are the energy transfers involved during evaporation and condensation?
Not sure about energy transfer but:
Evaporation: when atoms of highest kinetic energies escape the liquid
When they do this, the average kinetic energy of the remaining liquid decreases, so the average temperature of it decreases
Condensation: when gaseous particles hit a cold surface, they lose kinetic energy - transferred to the surface, and so cool down to a liquid (when you take a shower and the mirror steams up)
I'm sorry but that's about all I can remember :I
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Not sure about energy transfer but:
Evaporation: when atoms of highest kinetic energies escape the liquid
When they do this, the average kinetic energy of the remaining liquid decreases, so the average temperature of it decreases
Condensation: when gaseous particles hit a cold surface, they lose kinetic energy - transferred to the surface, and so cool down to a liquid (when you take a shower and the mirror steams up)
I'm sorry but that's about all I can remember :I

Thankyou so much that was really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest