PhD without getting a 1st at undergraduate? Watch

cassivella
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've seen a few PhD programs advertised at various universities which state the minimum requirement as a 2:1 at undergraduate. Is it realistic to be able to get onto a PhD without a 1st though?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cassivella)
I've seen a few PhD programs advertised at various universities which state the minimum requirement as a 2:1 at undergraduate. Is it realistic to be able to get onto a PhD without a 1st though?
It is feasible for a lot of subjects, yes. If you can muster excellent academic references and can write a good application, you'll be in with a shout.

What becomes less likely with a 2:1, is winning funding. Again, not impossible for many subjects, but certainly more difficult.
Anndee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cassivella)
It depends very much on your discipline and if you've got a good Master's degree and research proposal. In my case (humanities), for example, I got a 2:1 undergraduate but so far in my MLitt, I'm on course for a distinction, and I tried my luck with a quite original research proposal, so I ended up with full funding.
cassivella
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Klix88)
It is feasible for a lot of subjects, yes. If you can muster excellent academic references and can write a good application, you'll be in with a shout.

What becomes less likely with a 2:1, is winning funding. Again, not impossible for many subjects, but certainly more difficult.
(Original post by Anndee)
It depends very much on your discipline and if you've got a good Master's degree and research proposal. In my case (humanities), for example, I got a 2:1 undergraduate but so far in my MLitt, I'm on course for a distinction, and I tried my luck with a quite original research proposal, so I ended up with full funding.

Thanks for your input.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.49%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (28)
15.3%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (66)
36.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (7)
3.83%
No particular grades needed (11)
6.01%