Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't like my course at all, but I want a good degree... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a second year student studying law at a RG university. When I chose my subject, I based my decision largely on career prospects. I am an international student; I did not do advanced science courses in high school (biggest mistake of my life!) so I could only study a humanities degree. My parents were very much against me studying anything other than law, engineering or medicine as they see other degrees as worthless (don't mean to offend anyone, I know this isn't a good mentality to have...)

I had a hard time integrating in my first year. I did make a few close friends who were similarly struggling with the course (one of them has been asked to repeat the year). I missed almost all the lectures and hardly focused in the tutorials. My personal tutor was confident that I was going to fail all my exams. Somehow I managed to get through with a 2.2.

This year I was really set on keeping on top of everything, but I pretty much spent another year wasting time and wondering what on earth I was thinking when I chose this course. My coursework grades are much higher than they were last year (68 average), but I'm pretty sure I've screwed up the exams I have taken so far and I have no energy or motivation left to study for the 3 other exams I have yet to take.

I just don't like anything about my course or my university. I hate the fact that EVERYTHING that I have learned throughout the year is assessed by a 3 hour long exam at the end of the year. Seriously even the people who get first class marks aren't going to retain any of that information by the time they graduate. My social skills are close to non-existent. I don't see myself becoming a successful lawyer in the future and even if I do, this isn't what I want to do with my life. I actually don't know what to do with my life. The only factors that are keeping me from dropping out are the fact that I have (or rather my parents) invested so much in this, I have a boyfriend here that I love very much and the prospect of going back to my home country after graduating terrifies me for many reasons (my relationship is one of them, but it's not the only reason).

Is there anything I can do to fool myself into thinking I like this course somehow, so that the remainder of my time here can be at least tolerable?

ReputationRep:
    You are going to break...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what you can do, but just because you may graduate with a law degree it doesn't mean you have to pursue a career in it. There's a lot of alternatives.

And what uni is it if you don't mind me asking
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by corneliamusk)
    I am a second year student studying law at a RG university. When I chose my subject, I based my decision largely on career prospects. I am an international student; I did not do advanced science courses in high school (biggest mistake of my life!) so I could only study a humanities degree. My parents were very much against me studying anything other than law, engineering or medicine as they see other degrees as worthless (don't mean to offend anyone, I know this isn't a good mentality to have...)

I had a hard time integrating in my first year. I did make a few close friends who were similarly struggling with the course (one of them has been asked to repeat the year). I missed almost all the lectures and hardly focused in the tutorials. My personal tutor was confident that I was going to fail all my exams. Somehow I managed to get through with a 2.2.

This year I was really set on keeping on top of everything, but I pretty much spent another year wasting time and wondering what on earth I was thinking when I chose this course. My coursework grades are much higher than they were last year (68 average), but I'm pretty sure I've screwed up the exams I have taken so far and I have no energy or motivation left to study for the 3 other exams I have yet to take.

I just don't like anything about my course or my university. I hate the fact that EVERYTHING that I have learned throughout the year is assessed by a 3 hour long exam at the end of the year. Seriously even the people who get first class marks aren't going to retain any of that information by the time they graduate. My social skills are close to non-existent. I don't see myself becoming a successful lawyer in the future and even if I do, this isn't what I want to do with my life. I actually don't know what to do with my life. The only factors that are keeping me from dropping out are the fact that I have (or rather my parents) invested so much in this, I have a boyfriend here that I love very much and the prospect of going back to my home country after graduating terrifies me for many reasons (my relationship is one of them, but it's not the only reason).

Is there anything I can do to fool myself into thinking I like this course somehow, so that the remainder of my time here can be at least tolerable?
    I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time

Have you joined any societies at the university? And if so, do you go often or sometimes? Do you have any hobbies you're interested in?

Is there any course, such as, Business Management, HR or similar fields to Law that you would like to go into instead of Law, if you were to choose another course to study?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.