Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm revising for the OCR geog SDME tomorrow, with the theme being rivers and coasts, and I was wondering why soft engineering river and coastal defences, rather than hard engineering defences, are usually more sustainable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cicelym)
    So I'm revising for the OCR geog SDME tomorrow, with the theme being rivers and coasts, and I was wondering why soft engineering river and coastal defences, rather than hard engineering defences, are usually more sustainable?
    Soft engineering is often cheaper than hard engineering, so it costs less to implement and maintain. Soft engineering methods also have less impact on the natural environment, because they are designed to integrate with it. For example, hard engineering methods such as groynes disrupt the natural process of longshore drift, reducing the amount of sediment which gets moved along the coast, starving areas further along the coast of sediment and increasing coastal erosion in those areas. Soft engineering methods, on the other hand, such as managed retreat, work with the natural environment and process, not against them, and eventually leads to the formation of wetlands and marshland.

In summary, soft engineering methods have less impact on the environment, and lower economic cost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Soft engineering is often cheaper than hard engineering, so it costs less to implement and maintain. Soft engineering methods also have less impact on the natural environment, because they are designed to integrate with it. For example, hard engineering methods such as groynes disrupt the natural process of longshore drift, reducing the amount of sediment which gets moved along the coast, starving areas further along the coast of sediment and increasing coastal erosion in those areas. Soft engineering methods, on the other hand, such as managed retreat, work with the natural environment and process, not against them, and eventually leads to the formation of wetlands and marshland.

In summary, soft engineering methods have less impact on the environment, and lower economic cost

Surely soft engineering is a lot less socially sustainable though? But thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cicelym)
    Surely soft engineering is a lot less socially sustainable though? But thanks
    I'm not sure, what do you mean by socially sustainable?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.