Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much a week does the average student live off after rent? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Like the title asks. My daughter wants to apply for uni and we have worked out my wife and i sit in that bracket where the maintanence fee probably wont cover halls costs.

She has a job at iceland that pulls 50 quid a week and we would support as best we can but although we earn ok our finances are tied up and we have 2 other children.

Im looking for a ball park on what roughly a student lives off and how they help support themselves.

I know this is a wide open question however im caught between a rock and a hardplace. Financialy as it stands she would be best to commute for a year and then share a flat in years 2 and 3 which fits the dynamics but its alot of travel and she is not fancying that atm.

Any help or input negative or positive would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Cogsly)
    Like the title asks. My daughter wants to apply for uni and we have worked out my wife and i sit in that bracket where the maintanence fee probably wont cover halls costs.

She has a job at iceland that pulls 50 quid a week and we would support as best we can but although we earn ok our finances are tied up and we have 2 other children.

Im looking for a ball park on what roughly a student lives off and how they help support themselves.

I know this is a wide open question however im caught between a rock and a hardplace. Financialy as it stands she would be best to commute for a year and then share a flat in years 2 and 3 which fits the dynamics but its alot of travel and she is not fancying that atm.

Any help or input negative or positive would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all.
    After rent I lived off £50 a week for food and all bills and was pretty comfortable, however I didn't drink or go out to pubs ever and went to uni in a cheap northern uni city so I could be at the lower end with that figure. I did eat healthily, have the occasional Starbucks and trip to the cinema so I was pretty comfortable on that.
    She would be able to apply for an overdraft and there are grade dependant bursaries at some universities so look into that.

ReputationRep:
    This is such a piece of string question! =)
    My loan just covers my rent and I get very little to live off after that. (£67 for the year to be exact)

I work three jobs around 30ish hours a week alongside my studies. It's really hard but I have no other choice.

My parents do give me a monthly allowance as well (but thats their choice and I have told them they don't have too)

I know alot of other students don't work as much and if her travel is taken care off you can easily live on £50 a week. I don't even need 3 jobs I just love them so much to give them up.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers all please keep your experiences coming in this is gold

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.