Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so this is gonna be quite long and I hope it's in the right forum. I went to one college for a couple weeks till I realized I had made a mistake and that I was just following what my mum wanted and not what I wanted. I was taking Chemistry, Physics, Psychology and Maths. It was a real struggle. So I went to the careers person and had a chat. I had decided Photography, so I went to do a BTEC at a different college. I had no friends, all I got was people ignoring me and being told that if I didn't f off they'd mentally abuse me and stuff. But through everything I got through the first year and applied to the second year. A couple weeks in, they kicked me out. On the official letter they said it was cause of mental health. I have pretty major depression and mild anxiety. I didn't understand it. I got stuck in a rut for a little while not really caring for myself. My boyfriend helped pull me out of this.

So, now I've been through 2 colleges and I've got into a third (It's conditional on my grades but I already have my GCSE's so basically I'm in) on another Photography course. And I'd like to do the first year again, even if they say I can go straight onto the second. I'd like to just refine the skills I've already learned before anything new. And I'd also like to try and make some friends from the start. My mum keeps telling me to apply to apprenticeships and jobs, and the only ones she's finding for me are pharmacy ones, which I never want to do. She doesn't support my decision of Photography. I want to start my own business in the future, but I don't think I'll ever be able to... She tells me I need to be applying to 10 jobs per day. But I just wanna go through education. College and Uni.

There's another thing I need to add here though and that's money. My mum earns more than she used to now that she's a social worker. This may or may not be too much for me to be able to get bursary, all I know is that if I can't get it then I won't be able to do the course cause she doesn't have and wouldn't give me the money to do it. I don't need to pay for the course yet sine I'm only 18 but I need supplies and things.Second year won't be a problem cause I can apply for student loan then.

Last thing now, in 5 years she plans to move to New Zealand with her husband who can't live with us but I can't discuss the reasons why and her youngest child. The only one she didn't have with my dad. She doesn't care if we have somewhere to live or not. And I doubt my younger sister would've moved out by then but she wouldn't want to go that far away. And I won't have moved out cause 2 years goes to college and then either a job for the next 3 and maybe I will have found a job but I really do wanna go to uni but that's those 3 years spent there...

I just don't know if I should look for a job or apprenticeship doing whatever pays enough that I know I won't enjoy or if I should follow my dreams and do Photography... I'm also scared that this college will also kick me out. They know about the previous one and I don't show much of my mental issues around other people... I just don't know what to do anymore. Any advice? Anything is welcome. Thanks for reading all this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_Melling)
    Okay so this is gonna be quite long and I hope it's in the right forum. I went to one college for a couple weeks till I realized I had made a mistake and that I was just following what my mum wanted and not what I wanted. I was taking Chemistry, Physics, Psychology and Maths. It was a real struggle. So I went to the careers person and had a chat. I had decided Photography, so I went to do a BTEC at a different college. I had no friends, all I got was people ignoring me and being told that if I didn't f off they'd mentally abuse me and stuff. But through everything I got through the first year and applied to the second year. A couple weeks in, they kicked me out. On the official letter they said it was cause of mental health. I have pretty major depression and mild anxiety. I didn't understand it. I got stuck in a rut for a little while not really caring for myself. My boyfriend helped pull me out of this.

So, now I've been through 2 colleges and I've got into a third (It's conditional on my grades but I already have my GCSE's so basically I'm in) on another Photography course. And I'd like to do the first year again, even if they say I can go straight onto the second. I'd like to just refine the skills I've already learned before anything new. And I'd also like to try and make some friends from the start. My mum keeps telling me to apply to apprenticeships and jobs, and the only ones she's finding for me are pharmacy ones, which I never want to do. She doesn't support my decision of Photography. I want to start my own business in the future, but I don't think I'll ever be able to... She tells me I need to be applying to 10 jobs per day. But I just wanna go through education. College and Uni.

There's another thing I need to add here though and that's money. My mum earns more than she used to now that she's a social worker. This may or may not be too much for me to be able to get bursary, all I know is that if I can't get it then I won't be able to do the course cause she doesn't have and wouldn't give me the money to do it. I don't need to pay for the course yet sine I'm only 18 but I need supplies and things.Second year won't be a problem cause I can apply for student loan then.

Last thing now, in 5 years she plans to move to New Zealand with her husband who can't live with us but I can't discuss the reasons why and her youngest child. The only one she didn't have with my dad. She doesn't care if we have somewhere to live or not. And I doubt my younger sister would've moved out by then but she wouldn't want to go that far away. And I won't have moved out cause 2 years goes to college and then either a job for the next 3 and maybe I will have found a job but I really do wanna go to uni but that's those 3 years spent there...

I just don't know if I should look for a job or apprenticeship doing whatever pays enough that I know I won't enjoy or if I should follow my dreams and do Photography... I'm also scared that this college will also kick me out. They know about the previous one and I don't show much of my mental issues around other people... I just don't know what to do anymore. Any advice? Anything is welcome. Thanks for reading all this.
    Before you do anything, you need to ask yourself how serious this mental health issue is currently. Do you feel it's affecting your work? Are you taking any medication/therapy to help?

Really, I wouldn't recommend doing pharmacy if it's not what you want to do. You're 18 now; a real adult. You have the right to choose and pursue whatever career you want. Have you tried talking to your mum about how you feel? Perhaps try raising all arguments in favor for you doing photography.

Because in the end, you're gonna end up with a job. And you could potentially be working in this sector for the rest of your life.

Choose what makes you happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    Before you do anything, you need to ask yourself how serious this mental health issue is currently. Do you feel it's affecting your work? Are you taking any medication/therapy to help?

Really, I wouldn't recommend doing pharmacy if it's not what you want to do. You're 18 now; a real adult. You have the right to choose and pursue whatever career you want. Have you tried talking to your mum about how you feel? Perhaps try raising all arguments in favor for you doing photography.

Because in the end, you're gonna end up with a job. And you could potentially be working in this sector for the rest of your life.

Choose what makes you happy.
    I'm not on any medication or in therapy. But it doesn't affect my work. I might miss one or two days out of the whole year when I have my really bad days. But never if the day is really important. When I try to calmly talk to my mum, it's like waking a sleeping dragon by poking it in the eye. I've mentioned every great point about Photography but she doesn't care.

I will do whatever I want, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not on any medication or in therapy. But it doesn't affect my work. I might miss one or two days out of the whole year when I have my really bad days. But never if the day is really important. When I try to calmly talk to my mum, it's like waking a sleeping dragon by poking it in the eye. I've mentioned every great point about Photography but she doesn't care.

I will do whatever I want, thank you.
    Bit ironic asking for advice then saying "I do what I want" after you get it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlassyMarbles)
    Bit ironic asking for advice then saying "I do what I want" after you get it...
    It is ironic. But when I say I'll do whatever I want, I never mean it. I want approval and help with every decision in my life. So believe it or not, I need a lot more advice than just what to do about my mum.

ReputationRep:

You should continue your photography course because you are passionate about that and you know exactly what you want to do which i never did at your age so thats a good thing. You should always follow your dreams and not do things just because your parents did them or want you to do them. You should not take any crap job because your worried you wont have any money to live on as you will still be struggling in a job if it pays crap wages then you will be resentful and spend your life regretting not doing your photography course.

Ask your doctor for help with your mental health issues as this may help where it might be easier to get a place of your own to live and you can use your college bursary or loan to pay for living expenses. Go to the council, i think its the one that deals with homeless people, tell them your mother is kicking you out but your mother has to pretend she is when they contact her to find out or she has to write a note saying she is doing this and sign it and write the date she wrote it or you can wait until she has a date when she will leave the country before doing this or ask the council to refer you to a housing charity who will find you a flat or house as i saw on tv show called how to get a council house on channel 4 on Tuesdays at
    9pm when a man walked in to the council, they wouldnt give him a flat but he got lucky as they referred him to a housing charity and he got a flat through the charity.
    He was sleeping in the back of his car and because he was honest he got that flat but if anyone else is honest the council dont always help them so you cant tell them you want to leave and if you say you chose to leave home they definitely wont help you so sometimes people have to lie and say they are being kicked out or asked to leave or have no place to stay as one man on tv had 2 kids and was sleeping in his mums living room with the 2 kids both under 6 years old and the council refused to give him a flat or house because he was too honest and said he sleeps in the living room but his mum was kicking him out but the council didnt care so he should not have told them he sleeps in living room but should have lied and said he sleeps on the street but his mum looks after the kids as she has no room for him then they would have to give him a place even if its in a hostel so the single man who was 50 with no kids was referred to a housing charity and got a nice flat but the man whos a single dad was not reffered to the housing charity, if he had been maybe he would have got a flat or house too.

When the council refuse to give people homes maybe a housing charity will but lots of people never knew there was a housing charity so they didnt ask to be referred there as i never knew about this either until i saw the tv show

I went to the doctor about problems i had forgetting things and other problems but it wasnt mental health and she arranged for me to do social prescribing which is a new thing but its not just for people who went to their doctor as im not sure if other doctors in other areas know about it yet but it has really helped me as the lady i see at social prescribing is organising a photography class with a professional photographer and music lessons which i think are free but they have not set it up yet but when they do i will join it.
    I asked her if anyone can join social prescribing and she said yes as its not just for people if they have medical problems, its for anyone to try it and they dont have to go to their doctor about it if they already know the number to ring .It seems to me like most people on this forum need to do social prescribing because they are lonely , have no friends or not many friends or friends desert them or dont have much contact with friends.
    I would give her number on this forum for anyone interested in it but its a mobile so i can't without her permission first but ill ask her if she has an office number.
    She used to be a DJ and she used to work at the Royal London college of music

What area do you live in ? If i know this i will be able to tell you if she can see you
    then i can send you her number in a private message.
    Im not good at explaining exactly what social prescribing is but all i know is that she asks what im interested in then she finds out information on it for me and tells me about jobs or anything else and job fairs

and a job fair her company are organising on the 9th of June 2016
    10 30am- 4pm in Turnpike Lane, Wood Green N22 the company is called Shine

Also she pushes me to complete things as i tend to put off doing certain things for a long time like paying for private music lessons and she told me to look on the internet and apply to the Royal London college of music to find out how to apply, ask about a bursary, or a job to work there or just to go to their free music recitals to watch people playing classical music so i did all that. I love all types of music and even if someone isnt interested in classical music its still an interesting thing to watch live. I have not seen it live yet because i did not see their time table of the days and times to see any music performance on their website so i have to ring them to ask as the website was confusing and did not include that. So i would not have gone to Bimm open day if she didnt push me to complete tasks as i would have kept putting off going to Bimm because i could not afford the fares to go by train so i went by bus instead as it was a lot cheaper but im glad i did go because i learnt a lot there and i really want to go to a music college. That is one of my dreams to try to fulfill as i should have done it many, many years ago but i kept putting it off and did not try to find any music college to go to and if i had not gone i would never have known about this forum as they mentioned it on the open day

If you have any problems like health, mental health, trying to get a bursary or grant/loan for college or uni, not going out because you have no friends she will find out info for you and organise for group courses with the company she works for like photography or any other things you like doing.

Also to make money while at college or uni you go online and type Seeking Arrangement then sign up for free as a sugar baby. Its free to students but anyone else has to pay. Its rich men or women who pay people for companionship like just going to restaurants, bars, etc but you dont have to sleep with them but you must tell them this as its optional and maybe some people choose to but you dont have to. You can ask for as much as £1,000 or more but never go anywhere like a hotel room just public places where you feel safe. You need to discuss it with your boyfriend first as he might not like the idea. If your lucky you meet a rich man who supports you through college/uni or one rich man bought a woman her own flat.

I signed up last year and i got replies from 7 men. I didnt think i would as i out my real age and i thought they would only like younger girls soni was surprised.
    But i dud not meet anyone because its free to sign up and if anyone is interested you can see their profile on the website but you cant contact them unless you pay every month but if your a student you can contact anyone whobwants to meet you for free. Im not that confident about the way i look but i would have done it if i was younger. I just signed up for a laugh to see if anyone would reply but maybe one day ill try it when i can afford to pay.

Also type Seeking Arrangement on You Tube it will show lots of video's of people who have done it and made lots of money from it. One woman made £7,000 in one month from one man just from not sleeping with him. He just took her out to social events and gave her expensive jewellry

Or if your not interested in that type on the inernet Gooney shop
    07917 340 334 The managers's name is Guney
    [email protected]
    Send your cv after one week if he dont call you back you must ring him and after you spoke if he dont ring again you must be persistent and keep ringing him as he forgets to contact people because hes so busy. Ask if theres any work in your area or any area you want to work in if there isnt you just keep ringing once a month at least or he never will.
    I can give his number out because its a for a job
    they are looking for people to do people's shopping. You dont need a car or experience. You can buy a trolley to carry the heavy shopping if you dont have a car. These are 2 things you can do to make money and support yourself in college or uni and it will fit in with your plans because you choose the hours you want to work

ReputationRep:

I made a few spelling mistakes on what i sent you earlier so i hope you can understand what i really meant to write instead. Because i couldnt be bothered to check for all spelling mistakes because what i wrote was so long i only checked and corrected some mistakes.
    Also men and women, transvetites, transexuals any age can sign up with Seeking Arrangement.com
    You apply as a sugar baby. I applied with my real age and still got replies which i never expected but
    I wish when i was 21 that id known about it before as i would be rich by now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judge Judy)
    You should continue your photography course because you are passionate about that and you know exactly what you want to do which i never did at your age so thats a good thing. You should always follow your dreams and not do things just because your parents did them or want you to do them. You should not take any crap job because your worried you wont have any money to live on as you will still be struggling in a job if it pays crap wages then you will be resentful and spend your life regretting not doing your photography course.

Ask your doctor for help with your mental health issues as this may help where it might be easier to get a place of your own to live and you can use your college bursary or loan to pay for living expenses. Go to the council, i think its the one that deals with homeless people, tell them your mother is kicking you out but your mother has to pretend she is when they contact her to find out or she has to write a note saying she is doing this and sign it and write the date she wrote it or you can wait until she has a date when she will leave the country before doing this or ask the council to refer you to a housing charity who will find you a flat or house as i saw on tv show called how to get a council house on channel 4 on Tuesdays at
    9pm when a man walked in to the council, they wouldnt give him a flat but he got lucky as they referred him to a housing charity and he got a flat through the charity.
    He was sleeping in the back of his car and because he was honest he got that flat but if anyone else is honest the council dont always help them so you cant tell them you want to leave and if you say you chose to leave home they definitely wont help you so sometimes people have to lie and say they are being kicked out or asked to leave or have no place to stay as one man on tv had 2 kids and was sleeping in his mums living room with the 2 kids both under 6 years old and the council refused to give him a flat or house because he was too honest and said he sleeps in the living room but his mum was kicking him out but the council didnt care so he should not have told them he sleeps in living room but should have lied and said he sleeps on the street but his mum looks after the kids as she has no room for him then they would have to give him a place even if its in a hostel so the single man who was 50 with no kids was referred to a housing charity and got a nice flat but the man whos a single dad was not reffered to the housing charity, if he had been maybe he would have got a flat or house too.

When the council refuse to give people homes maybe a housing charity will but lots of people never knew there was a housing charity so they didnt ask to be referred there as i never knew about this either until i saw the tv show

I went to the doctor about problems i had forgetting things and other problems but it wasnt mental health and she arranged for me to do social prescribing which is a new thing but its not just for people who went to their doctor as im not sure if other doctors in other areas know about it yet but it has really helped me as the lady i see at social prescribing is organising a photography class with a professional photographer and music lessons which i think are free but they have not set it up yet but when they do i will join it.
    I asked her if anyone can join social prescribing and she said yes as its not just for people if they have medical problems, its for anyone to try it and they dont have to go to their doctor about it if they already know the number to ring .It seems to me like most people on this forum need to do social prescribing because they are lonely , have no friends or not many friends or friends desert them or dont have much contact with friends.
    I would give her number on this forum for anyone interested in it but its a mobile so i can't without her permission first but ill ask her if she has an office number.
    She used to be a DJ and she used to work at the Royal London college of music

What area do you live in ? If i know this i will be able to tell you if she can see you
    then i can send you her number in a private message.
    Im not good at explaining exactly what social prescribing is but all i know is that she asks what im interested in then she finds out information on it for me and tells me about jobs or anything else and job fairs

and a job fair her company are organising on the 9th of June 2016
    10 30am- 4pm in Turnpike Lane, Wood Green N22 the company is called Shine

Also she pushes me to complete things as i tend to put off doing certain things for a long time like paying for private music lessons and she told me to look on the internet and apply to the Royal London college of music to find out how to apply, ask about a bursary, or a job to work there or just to go to their free music recitals to watch people playing classical music so i did all that. I love all types of music and even if someone isnt interested in classical music its still an interesting thing to watch live. I have not seen it live yet because i did not see their time table of the days and times to see any music performance on their website so i have to ring them to ask as the website was confusing and did not include that. So i would not have gone to Bimm open day if she didnt push me to complete tasks as i would have kept putting off going to Bimm because i could not afford the fares to go by train so i went by bus instead as it was a lot cheaper but im glad i did go because i learnt a lot there and i really want to go to a music college. That is one of my dreams to try to fulfill as i should have done it many, many years ago but i kept putting it off and did not try to find any music college to go to and if i had not gone i would never have known about this forum as they mentioned it on the open day

If you have any problems like health, mental health, trying to get a bursary or grant/loan for college or uni, not going out because you have no friends she will find out info for you and organise for group courses with the company she works for like photography or any other things you like doing.

Also to make money while at college or uni you go online and type Seeking Arrangement then sign up for free as a sugar baby. Its free to students but anyone else has to pay. Its rich men or women who pay people for companionship like just going to restaurants, bars, etc but you dont have to sleep with them but you must tell them this as its optional and maybe some people choose to but you dont have to. You can ask for as much as £1,000 or more but never go anywhere like a hotel room just public places where you feel safe. You need to discuss it with your boyfriend first as he might not like the idea. If your lucky you meet a rich man who supports you through college/uni or one rich man bought a woman her own flat.

I signed up last year and i got replies from 7 men. I didnt think i would as i out my real age and i thought they would only like younger girls soni was surprised.
    But i dud not meet anyone because its free to sign up and if anyone is interested you can see their profile on the website but you cant contact them unless you pay every month but if your a student you can contact anyone whobwants to meet you for free. Im not that confident about the way i look but i would have done it if i was younger. I just signed up for a laugh to see if anyone would reply but maybe one day ill try it when i can afford to pay.

Also type Seeking Arrangement on You Tube it will show lots of video's of people who have done it and made lots of money from it. One woman made £7,000 in one month from one man just from not sleeping with him. He just took her out to social events and gave her expensive jewellry

Or if your not interested in that type on the inernet Gooney shop
    07917 340 334 The managers's name is Guney
    [email protected]
    Send your cv after one week if he dont call you back you must ring him and after you spoke if he dont ring again you must be persistent and keep ringing him as he forgets to contact people because hes so busy. Ask if theres any work in your area or any area you want to work in if there isnt you just keep ringing once a month at least or he never will.
    I can give his number out because its a for a job
    they are looking for people to do people's shopping. You dont need a car or experience. You can buy a trolley to carry the heavy shopping if you dont have a car. These are 2 things you can do to make money and support yourself in college or uni and it will fit in with your plans because you choose the hours you want to work
    Thank you so much! That was really helpful and I really appreciate all the information that you gave me. I live in the Wigan area btw.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.