Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can you please post

• What the title of your course is (whether its a single or double etc)
    • How many years you have left to go
    • How you have found it
    • What you consider your career prospects to be
    • If you enjoyed business at A Level, and how that may have changed
    • What uni are you at and what do you think of it!

the more people the better, thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    im gonna be doing one in september, can i contribute? if u say no, i shall be hurt.

ReputationRep:
    of course clare, share your views plz !

ReputationRep:
    im gonna be doing business economics at exeter. i have done business a-level and it was ok - quite easy but makes me feel more confident about basic things that i should now, e.g, about the governments role in economics, monetary, fiscal policies etc. Most people will know this anyway, i learnt some from doing politics as level but feel better grounded going to uni with some useful knowledge. i look forward to doing the maths parts of the course as i did maths alevel ( my fav subject - how sad!) and i may decide to change to straight economics after a year at uni as i have been told i can do this as the course has a degree of flexibility if i choose certain options that persuades the department i have economics knowledge. i think my career prospects are good - generally people now look for the value of the degree rather than the type so i will aim for a 1st class degree!! hee hee. Businesses and government are wanting economists and i may choose to do a postgraduate degree. THATS ALL!! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worried_mess)
    can you please post

• What the title of your course is (whether its a single or double etc)
    • How many years you have left to go
    • How you have found it
    • What you consider your career prospects to be
    • If you enjoyed business at A Level, and how that may have changed
    • What uni are you at and what do you think of it!

the more people the better, thanks guys!
    In sept im starting business management at the UEA. So 3 years to go!! I dont have a clue what i wana do. I enjoyed business at alevel and i did the double alevel in business and did one of the alevels with no teacher in a year.

sorry not very helpful!! what bout u?

ReputationRep:
    double a-level, wots that? i did AQA A-level business, how was ure course different, what else did u learn, I FEEL DEPRIVED, lol!

ReputationRep:
    why UEA? which a levels did u take and what grades have you achieved? what other unis did u reply to?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    double a-level, wots that? i did AQA A-level business, how was ure course different, what else did u learn, I FEEL DEPRIVED, lol!
    Double Business is an AVCE qualification, equivilent to 2 A Levels.

There is a more emphasis on coursework, and the units that you can do are very wide-ranging. From Business Finance to International Trade and Business Law. Probably makes you more able and ready for a degree in Business because of this.

I am so glad that I chose AVCE!

I might still do a Business Degree, maybe in Business Law with Marketing, but I am undecided.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think an AVCE makes you more ready for a business degree, in fact quite the opposite. The majority of Uni's i applied to wouldnt accept AVCE qualifications as they want their students to be prepared for the "uni style of learning" rather than a vocational approach, which is based on coursework.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think an AVCE makes you more ready for a business degree, in fact quite the opposite. The majority of Uni's i applied to wouldnt accept AVCE qualifications as they want their students to be prepared for the "uni style of learning" rather than a vocational approach, which is based on coursework.
    Yes, some institutions don't accept the AVCE.

However, I do believe that it does make students more prepared with doing a university course. Not because of the actual coursework, but because of how you have to research and evaluate the information.

I do have experience of normal A-Levels too, and how an A-Level is assesed and taught is superior to the AVCE.

But the AVCE does have serious faults, which has harmed its reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)
    Yes, some institutions don't accept the AVCE.

However, I do believe that it does make students more prepared with doing a university course. Not because of the actual coursework, but because of how you have to research and evaluate the information.

I do have experience of normal A-Levels too, and how an A-Level is assesed and taught is superior to the AVCE.

But the AVCE does have serious faults, which has harmed its reputation.
    Would you like to eleborate more? I asume you have done an AVCE yourself. The AVCE requires you to substantial research (not university level but enough) and does have proper exams. Where as AS (I have never done A2) you just do a bit of revsion and get a good mark.

ReputationRep:
    with AQA A2 business you also do business coursework, but in more of a university style as it is a report. At university you do not do portfolio work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Would you like to eleborate more? I asume you have done an AVCE yourself. The AVCE requires you to substantial research (not university level but enough) and does have proper exams. Where as AS (I have never done A2) you just do a bit of revsion and get a good mark.
    A-Levels are clearer in their syllabuses and mark schemes. This enables for the tutors to give more specific lessons. A-Levels are also more uniform within each subject.

AVCE has very complicated mark schemes, which as you know, are quite horrible especially if you miss just one of the E criteria but achieve all of the C and A criteria. I also feel that there is a large gulf in complexity of the units. In Business, there are certain units which are easy like Business At Work. However Human Resources and Competitive Business Environment require a whole new level of understanding. The tutors do not help you as much, which requires more independant learning. For AVCE I have had to do a lot of reading around the subject, which I have not had to do for A-Level.

As I do have experience of both qualifications, I would say that I have been taught more in-class with A-Level and there is more support and guidance available. But AVCE had challenged me far more.

As you say, it is possible to get a good grade using a revision guide in A-Level. That is just not possible in AVCE as you need a broader understanding of the subject.

In AVCE Business, we have to produce 8 assignments on businesses. Within these assignments we have to explain the theory in our own words, explain what the business actually does and then evaluate and analyse the information and differences. These have to be structured as a business report format.

I would say that the DA AVCE is worth more than 2 A-Levels (Maths, Chemistry et al excluded of course).

ReputationRep:
    Another thing that I have noticed between the 2 is the difference in the student make-ups.

A-Level students to be far more committed in their studies. They don't mess around and actually want to learn.

AVCE tend to be not so committed and a lot are on the course due to parental pressure.

This is why AVCE gets a bad name, and why some unis don't accept it as they look at the headline figures and not what is entailed in gaining the qualification.

ReputationRep:
    Actually now, most uni's acept AVCE qualifications alongside A-levels. AVCE is for people who like coursework more and less examinations and have a bit of academic and more of a vocational approach to things. A-levels is for people who like to do examinations.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities do accept AVCE though, also on a lot of university courses a the way of doing things is similar to the AVCE, it just depends on the subject. I agree you tend to get a lot idiots on the AVCE course, this why the pass rate is so low.

Having done both like you I do feel quite qualified to comment on it and AVCE is no easier than A levels. People just believe what they want to however and that includes the media.

ReputationRep:
    my school only wanted 5 a-c's in GCSE's in ANY subjects to do an AVCE where as they wanted atleast a B in GCSE to do A level in that subject ( and in maths they wanted GCSE of A for maths a-level). so ure certainly right that only a certain 'type' of people generally choose to do AVCE's. they are seen as the 'easy option' and taken up by people who dont want the constraints of being taught in a classroom scenario. For two a-levels i dont think they hold enough content personally, they certainly develop skills but i would worry if going on to do business degree that you would suffer with learning a wide breadth of knowlege due to lacking the ability to cram loads of useless facts in to ure head and use them in exams, like u do with A-levels!!

ReputationRep:
    my school only wanted 5 a-c's in GCSE's in ANY subjects to do an AVCE where as they wanted atleast a B in GCSE to do A level in that subject ( and in maths they wanted GCSE of A for maths a-level). so ure certainly right that only a certain 'type' of people generally choose to do AVCE's. they are seen as the 'easy option' and taken up by people who dont want the constraints of being taught in a classroom scenario. For two a-levels i dont think they hold enough content personally, they certainly develop skills but i would worry if going on to do business degree that you would suffer with learning a wide breadth of knowlege due to lacking the ability to cram loads of useless facts in to ure head and use them in exams, like u do with A-levels!!
    Take a look at the entry requirements at

www.mancat.ac.uk you fill find they want more GCSEs for the AVCE than they do for A level.

ReputationRep:
    ummm, i hope u looked aswell....:

"AS/Alevel business:
    What qualifications do I need to do the course?
    Five GCSEs at grade C or four at grade B including Maths and English."

?AVCE Business
    Five GCSEs at grade C or four at grade B including Maths and English.?

THEIR EXACTLY THE SAME...however, at MY school (which is what i said) u need higher grades for a-level that AVCE

infact looking at the sight u posted> and this is for general AVCE courses (which people on here have been talking about):

"Who are AVCEs (Advanced Vocational Certificates in Education) suitable for?
    Formerly known as Advanced GNVQs, AVCEs are ideal if you obtained at least 4 Cs or better at GCSE (without Maths and English)" which is LOWER, therefore my point EXACTLY about the TYPE of people who go for the courses!

ReputationRep:
    ummm, i hope u looked aswell....:

"AS/Alevel business:
    Five GCSEs at grade C or four at grade B including Maths and English."

?AVCE Business
    Five GCSEs at grade C or four at grade B including Maths and English.?

THEIR EXACTLY THE SAME...however, at MY school (which is what i said) u need higher grades for a-level that AVCE

infact looking at the sight u posted> and this is for general AVCE courses (which people on here have been talking about):

"Who are AVCEs (Advanced Vocational Certificates in Education) suitable for?
    Formerly known as Advanced GNVQs, AVCEs are ideal if you obtained at least 4 Cs or better at GCSE (without Maths and English)" which is LOWER, therefore my point EXACTLY about the TYPE of people who go for the courses!
    What the type of people that go for them courses then? Have a look at AVCE ICT you will find they want 1 GCSE more.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.